Jay A3 's 1.8T On-Going Build Thread

Yeah, it is fun. I just want some snow now!

You seen the pics of it? I put a thread in the b5 section.

Yeh the silver one. Slightly dropped? Can't remember what wheels you had

It's actually standard height. And it has standard bolero(?) wheels. Ha! I did consider putting my s4's on, but I'm gonna leave it as standard.

Seems to be so far mate. It doesn't seem to reward me well for driving it carefully either. I get like 2 mpg more, so might as well have fun.

Jay...

No pics

Sort it out!

Of the rear calipers? Previous page :)

null_zps0a1f269b.jpg

Not everyone has as much spare time as you :p

Reactions: Prawn
I will wash this weekend. Need to pick up more meguiars alloy cleaner

nooo not the ****** calipers

the car! lol

take some nice snaps, Shouldnt have to tell you this lol

Reactions: ScottD3 and s3dave
Will do mate. Car isn't photo worthy at the moment. Still planning a respray

For you paradox!
Even gave it a wash today

null_zps665e587e.jpg

null_zpsc434a961.jpg

null_zpsd456daf8.jpg

null_zps34881962.jpg

Reactions: Gizmo20VT, Prawn and Tim_Attard
Small update...

Spent the last 2months looking into fitting a oem remote to my car. Had enough of the aftermarket set constantly locking me out of the car!

Remote central locking

I also got a bit bored and creative...

null_zps17dc88a3.jpg

great what some stickers, paint and lacquer can do

Reactions: JudderMan, Gizmo20VT, Tim_Attard and 2 others
Justly picked this up for no less than £30!
Job for tomorrow

null_zps96bea78e.jpg

Anything I should look out for? Or easy enough to swap over?

Not sure of anyone still follows this thread, but it's more of a "what I have done" thread

Didn't get round to fitting the bushes. Too much work on, maybe this weekend...

On another note Ben has sourced some seats for me along with door cards. (Massive thanks again)

Little worse for wear as they had a lot of surface bobbling.
null_zps7ab3087e.jpg

I used a de-bobbler (costs £4 off eBay)
Top half done and bottom half not...
null_zpsb9ed10f6.jpg

Done all the seats and also picked up some meguiars gold leather giving a nice clean. I found this really easy to use and no residue.
null_zpscf2ceb53.jpg

null_zps8edad2cd.jpg

I've read a few posts on cleaning the alcantera and it seems race glaze is quite popular, so I have a bottle of this on the way to try out.

Reactions: Westy and CHEZ
If you find anything decent and relatively cheap to recondition black leather let me know. I know paintwork stuff, but ive never touched my seats other than a wipe.

Very pimpin btw!

Reactions: Jay A3
If you find anything decent and relatively cheap to recondition black leather let me know. I know paintwork stuff, but ive never touched my seats other than a wipe.

You tried auto glym? They do both a leather cleaner and then a leather balm which you treat every few months.

nice transformation dude going to look good!!!

Thanks miggz can wait to get them in

So my cleaner for the alcantera turned up today
null_zpsefdb1793.jpg

Easy enough to use:
Before
null_zpsedaa5d38.jpg

After
null_zps375fc09f.jpg

Reactions: Westy
this is suddenly looking all very pimp :blackrs4:

Best colour combo for S3 seats, they're going to look great in your white car!

this is suddenly looking all very pimp :blackrs4:

Best colour combo for S3 seats, they're going to look great in your white car!

Comfort ;)
Thanks Nick.
On another good note I have been driving around this week with no back seats or sub etc...

Noisier bit feeling the weight difference!!!

With the help from Ben and Reesy - got the front seats in.

null_zps638b0c42.jpg

Just need to sort out the airbag light issue. The original plugs were 2 wires and the loom used from the s3 and under the seats have 3 wires.

I have read a few threads about taking out the bulb or sticking a resistor on it then clearing it with vagcom. I don't really want to go down this route. Any one shed some light on what wire is what??

Reactions: Tim_Attard
He did help honest! Dont think they will again. It was freezing outside

Eat a d*ck Fred!!

and yeah, that job was bullllllsheet. Was absolutely freezing but they look a lot better than the old ones did..

Reactions: Jay A3 and Westy
Still not got the rear door cards in yet. Just fitted some 2 way coaxial 165mm pioneer speakers along with speaker adapters and they will go in just after Xmas.

This week and next I will be rolling around in this while the car is in the shop. Not a fan of the mini although this one is only a 1.4l

Missing my motor already and it's only been 4 or so days...

Reactions: ScottD3 and StaceyS3
So 2weeks and I still don't have my car back yet...

But I do have a small update on where it is at. I have been contemplating over what grey I wanted it painted. After going to the tour round Maidstone Audi dealership I saw an a1 in Daytona grey and I had to have it! [LZ7S color code] with a gloss brilliant black roof [LY9B]

Firstly all the wrap has to come off

Prepped

Brilliant black

Doors and bonnet off

Hated the door moulds. Removed welded metal plates behind the holes and filled.

I started putting the lights back on and plate

Rear bumper back on

Colour has come out really well with a pearl effect. Hopefully I can get all the trim and door cards back on tomorrow and hand this mini back over!

Reactions: JudderMan, s3dave, StaceyS3 and 4 others
What a day! I have been collecting parts over the last few months for a facelift double din. I've read a few threads and it's fairly straight forward.... Not for me it wasn't! Taking the console out was an easy task

While I was hoarding parts I mocked everything up to save time

Issues I came across:
- The cup holder. On my a3 the space behind where the cup holder sits is very tight! The centre vents funnel down behind the head unit and stops the console and cupholder fitting flush.

Sorry for the poor picture.
This is of the slot where the cup holder would go. If you look straight through to the back you can see two upright trims (looks like a 7). I had to trim these I half.

- The hvac all plugged and didn't work. No response so I will need to look into it or try another hvac.

- rear window de mister cabling didn't reach so I need to get hold of some 12v wire to extend.

- The cigarette lighter wires
My car had 2 plugs:
(White plug) Red & black = live
(White plug) Brown = ground

(Black plug) black x3 = ground?
(Black plug) red = live
(Black plug) blue = ??

- The obd port has to be relocated. Currently out the way but I plan to extend it to under the steering wheel as the facelift models.

All in all it's temporarily fitted and I'm happy with how it looks.

Reactions: s3dave
I plan to borrow a tester and find out what these wires are. Hoping to try reesys hvac as his is a working one which would eliminate whether my one is faulty or not

I've a bundle of 12v cable if you need some Jay.
The blue wire should be illumination.

Mate those seats are gorgeous! I've always wanted them! How you getting along with the facelift console?

I've a bundle of 12v cable if you need some Jay.
The blue wire should be illumination.

Thanks Leigh. Will let you know how I get on

Mate those seats are gorgeous! I've always wanted them! How you getting along with the facelift console?

Cheers Gops
Facelift console is halfway there. The head unit works well so far will play with it later. Just teething problems fit wiring for the hvac and cigarettes lighter. But once they are sorted it's all done!

Well seems like the old hvac works so wiring is all ok during conversion. Hoping to collect and try another FL hvac to find out if my one os faulty or not

Reactions: ScottD3
That stereo looks really good mate.
It fits in there well.

Shame about the HVAC unit though but if your PFL one works it must be the FL one being faulty?

Can you watch TV, films or AV input on it?

No tv or films. But should be able to watch stuff from YouTube etc... The satnav and music from my iTunes were the main priorities