Jay A3 's 1.8T On-Going Build Thread

Whoop! Brake lines have turned up!!!

well the invoice has

Not sure does look light now. I doubt Ben will have scales at his shop either to weigh it up...

That flywheel looks super badass.

I would have no worries running something that light, especially with our torque tastic K03.

The confidence having a solid flywheel gives is amazing, knowing you can mash it from gear to gear as aggressive as you like. I quite often change from second to third with the wheels fully spinning and at 7K on the limiter.

Whilst the gearbox has gone within 6 months the clutch feel, increased modulation and the lightness of the pedal is such a huge improvement.

I can't believe you haven't done it yet :D

Reactions: Jay A3
Friday night: rolled up to bens for clutch fitting.
Old flywheel and clutch
9B5990B6-3F87-41DB-B9A4-DB79A8E97CE6-3991-000004CAA3FDCB30_zpsbdb1df68.jpg

old flywheel vs new flywheel
EABC8ECA-3F5F-41FA-B74B-3C4E13ADDE01-3991-000004CAAAAD572C_zps9b9bec43.jpg

snapshot of gearbox
07E6F10C-544D-4F85-B642-9C2D19F4C7BE-3991-000004CA9B491D16_zps5e0249ea.jpg

new clutch in place
7C23E32F-85CA-4964-A4C1-53AB95AA736C-3991-000004CAB90A23D7_zps82b3e482.jpg

Just over 2hrs later everything was back in! Took it for a test drive with Ben to make sure everything was in working order.
What can I say?! Massive thanks to Ben for a mother cracking job! The clutch is sweeeeeeet! As people have said it does rev up and down so quickly. The clutch pedal is stiffer to dis-engage. Takes a little getting used to (almost stalled reversing out the work shop haha)

but my word this car is now performing how it should be! Had a nice little race last night and it didn't miss a beat! Not one clutch slip. May need to upgrade to better tyres as the fallens 452s aren't cutting it now.

Also had spare time to prep and paint the s3 strut brace I got. Can't fit it yet as the pipe of the Turbo is in the way. Need to revise it with Ben soon!
But sneaky pic
2D061B2E-7A33-48FE-8A8E-22130D151780-5134-0000067787F40262_zps38f0f542.jpg

quick wash of the motor and polished the tail pipes
F7DBE0CF-832E-4AA6-9F87-978AB26FAB71-5134-000006778F6DEF9E_zpsc03a8e54.jpg

how the car sits at the moment
1A59D4F1-0ECA-4AA8-B5F7-0E8D24BA4224-5134-000006779543E167_zpsbab5cbac.jpg

didnt get to fit the TT front wish bone rear bushes as the ramp was being repaired and I can't use the 2nd ramp as it will hit my bumper. Job for next week I think!

How's the noise on idle? Is it noisey like most lighter smf's?

I haven't noticed any noise difference, to be fair I didn't listen out for it so it hasn't stood out if louder. Will be popping out shortly I will check it then

How's the noise on idle? Is it noisey like most lighter smf's?

Bah! This annoys me.

Common misconception, there is a minute noise which is hardly audible with a closed bonnet and closed windows up.

"Noisy" isn't the word I would ever use.

Didn't hear anything different, well not over the engine anyway. I haven't stuck my head in the engine bay to listen out for it probably won't. All I know is I love the new setup! Still getting used to it as I'm bogging it down now and then

The 02j is not noisy with a smf replacement, you have to bare in mind the flywheel and clutch you are fitting are o.e parts made for the 02a gearbox (early 02j). It can't be compared to a smf replacement on the 02m as this box was always designed to have a dmf, so will of course be noisier with a smf. The gearsets in the 02m are a lot larger in comparison and this will contribute to the noise when you fit a smf conversion.

Reactions: superkarl, 16Klappe and Jay A3
Bah! This annoys me.

Common misconception, there is a minute noise which is hardly audible with a closed bonnet and closed windows up.

"Noisy" isn't the word I would ever use.

Was a simple question chill your beans..

It wasn't a misconception was mearly asking if it made a noise or not. Some do some don't and in this case it doesn't so win for jay.

Reactions: Jay A3
Really love the build mate! The white wrap really looks good... I'll be watching for further updates!

One question though: Why didn't you wrap the lower parts of your bumpers as well?

Thanks mate! The bumper was so hard to do with all the curves. Being the first time applying wrap it was difficult, we did try and many swear words later my brother gave in and said we'll spray the bumpers. I decided to leave the bottom bits black as the side skirting bit was black already and thought it matches, so left it

Thanks mate! The bumper was so hard to do with all the curves. Being the first time applying wrap it was difficult, we did try and many swear words later my brother gave in and said we'll spray the bumpers. I decided to leave the bottom bits black as the side skirting bit was black already and thought it matches, so left it

Ahh I see... I can imagine that wrap stuff is hard to work with! I tried once and couldn't get it right for life of me...

But I think it actually looks pretty mean with the bottom bits black!

I was happy with it until I saw miggz's white car and thought that looks nice maybe I should have sprayed the lower bits haha

Looking good mate!

whts that cluth that's gone in? Red cover plate? Heavier pedal feel? Not a standard vr6 clutch then!

The 02j is not noisy with a smf replacement, you have to bare in mind the flywheel and clutch you are fitting are o.e parts made for the 02a gearbox (early 02j). It can't be compared to a smf replacement on the 02m as this box was always designed to have a dmf, so will of course be noisier with a smf. The gearsets in the 02m are a lot larger in comparison and this will contribute to the noise when you fit a smf conversion.

hmmm and yet, 02j boxes on ibizas which came with dual mass and swap to single mass also rattle....

except badgerwagen... which is a balanced motor - there's the clue i think..

cant offer another explanation myself. weird huh?

Mine is also all balanced bill and I don't have rattle or vibrations?

My mates polo gti with same clutch and setup as mine more or less rattles thou

Looking good mate!

whts that cluth that's gone in? Red cover plate? Heavier pedal feel? Not a standard vr6 clutch then!

bens words: "not sure what clutch but it is for a vr6 turbo. "

So far so good and yes the pedal is heavier. Soon as I lift off a little the car just wants to go!

I can't hear the rattle but I can feel the rattling/vibrations in the clutch pedal more

the words you are searching for............ "are far quicker than Audi A3s"
especially yellow ibizas - specifically MG Trophy Yellow ibizas :p

The last one I saw wasn't; it was on the back of a lorry :p

Yours is acceptable, because it has many boosts. Most are sheds owned by kids.

:)

Yours is acceptable, because it has many boosts. Most are sheds owned by kids.
:)

'acceptable'

high grace indeed

:p

and I agree re the children driving ibizas.. I feel older everytime I see kids driving about.. Cupra's.. My 1st was a 17 year old beetle!

Reactions: 16Klappe
Email saying brake lines have been dispatched from Awesome. Got the same?

Just phoned them up.. they are also being despatched today.. just waiting for courier to collect and we should get them tomorrow! The misses is at home tomorrow so i should be able to get some snaps as they arrive :beerchug:

Mine will be delivered to work so i`ll race you for pics :p

Saying that im on a course until 1 so you`ll probably win!

*******! I'm sat here at home waitin for it :p

null_zpsa67f1120.jpg

cold beer will surely help