i've read most of the 8P related ICE upgrades..now just a few questions please! help

tdisportuk

Reaction score
Hello all

i know:

1) front and rear speakers are 6.5"
2) existing wiring can be used
3) tweeters are 1"
4) i have a non-bose amplified set up
5) i am taking the aftermarket d/din headunit option
6) im not looking to amp front or rear speakers yet as i already have a sub, just want some SQ for now

what i need to know!

1) should i be going for components or coaxial speakers?
2) if i go for coaxial then i'd need separate tweeters?
3) could someone please recommend me some speakers (give links) as i am clueless what to look for.

and any tips!

many thanks :sos:

1. Components definately (why would you want coxials?)
2. Don't go coaxial
3. Depends how much you want to spend, Rainbow slx's are pretty decent, but the world is your oyster unless you have a budget in mind

Hi AndyMac

many thanks for the reply. oh ok components it is! lol so we're going to be putting 2 x sets of components in the front and rear ( 4 tweeters + 4 mids) ?

erm i guess budget would be from like £50-£250ish. if you could recommend me different ones in that price range could be great! ideally around £300ish for both sets if possible?

many thanks

The Rainbows then!
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/rainbow-slx265-deluxe.html
Everyone will have different opinions, but for that money there aren't really any bad options. Whatever you pick you won't get the best out of them driving them off the HU, personally I'd maybe spend a little less on the speakers (especially the rears which are really a waste of time) and buy a secondhand amp to drive them, certainly at least get the fronts amped.

Last edited:
thanks for the link andy!
ok i'll get a set of them for the front hmm how much would i be looking at for an amp? to power those? or what if i put rainbows in the front and some cheaper ones in the rear and amp'd them all?

main part is getting told what to buy as im clueless..the only thing i can do is listen to the sound that it produces! hehe

Genisys amps are excellent, probably the best for the money, very warm musical feel to them (and they're British!). I picked my 4 channel up on ebay for £150, but you could probably get a 2 channel for the fronts a bit cheaper. Swapped it from the Alpine V12 that I was using and couldn't believe the difference. Alpine are great but they do have a very stark/sterile sound. You can get a decent old school V12 T500/T505 for £50 which will still be a big improvement on using the feeble HU amp. HU amps are tuned for maximum power to look good on the spec sheet, they run out of steam very quickly and just the confines of the limited space they occupy means a big compromise.

oh ok i will look out for one, 2 channel, how many watts would it have to be?

and what comps should i be looking for the rear? or shall i not bother with them?

thanks

anyone?
want to get my list ready so when im back i know what im doing :beerchug:

Any of the Genesis amps would do you need at least 2 x 40wrms, but on the spec sheet that's conservative, nothing like a 2 x 40w HU (which is max power not RMS) and with a quality amp you'll get 30% more than advertised. I wouldn't bother with upgrading the rears, spend your money where it counts.