I've just joined the 8V water pump club

Yes. A characteristic of all the other broken ones! :notworking: :wink:
That is the response for every VAG car the family has owned - the service staff must recite it every morning before work starts.

This thread has me curious. I've had a cold start misfire in my S3 since I bought it with 3,000 miles on it. Some days it's worse than others, and it tends to minimize after some driving. It even resulted in a stalling occurrence one time (while at a stop, fortunately!), and it's felt close to stalling a couple times since.

I did have the coolant warning around 6,500 miles... guess I need to check again and see what it's done in the last thousand miles.

I had a friend who traded an S3 after Audi couldn't figure out her misfiring issues, and now I'm wondering if this was it. Hmm...

I instantly thought about this thread today!

I was in the outside lane of the motorway passing a few wagons and got the 'bing bing bing' sound! At first I thought it was the speed warning as I have that set to 90...but thought "I'm not going that fast!...so I looked down to see "Pull over, stop engine and check coolant"...I shat myself :p managed to get over fairy quickly and stop. The coolant was just above the minimum mark, luckily I always carry some with me, so topped it up to the the full mark. Been driving all afternoon and it's been fine, checked it each time I stopped and it hasn't gone down again. Once home I left it for an hour or so and checked again, it had risen to just over the max line.

So hopefully nothing to worry about, just got a little too low :)

I've just joined the club too.

Attachments

• 20170922_182250.jpg
    20170922_182250.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 452
  • 20170922_182706.jpg
    20170922_182706.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 445
  • 20170922_182714.jpg
    20170922_182714.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 428
Joined the water pump replacement club. Now had both the auxuillary & main water pumps replaced in the past nine months. Car has just reached 50k miles. Main water pump failed a few weeks ago. Had to wait a week for the parts. It's cost just over a grand in repair bills. So much for 'Vorsprung durch Technik'

Bit of a Jackanory on this one....but at least it wasn't my S3.....
We broke down in the middle of fricking nowhere yesterday in my wife's Q5 - 4km's into a 40km trek through uninhabited jungle Indian reserve - with coolant problems. Her car (under warranty) had been in more than 5 times and they never ever fixed the coolant sensor light coming on randomly. So when it did I thought nothing much other than it must have been the very steep hills setting it off.....until I notice the temp on the engine hit max. Luckily noticed a split in the end of the coolant return pipe....and under pressure it was coming out. No cellphone service....no cars about....mates from UK in the car....we are all tired from 3 days not much sleep/hungover/not showered....one of those "oh sh1t" moments.
Cut the pipe...pushed it back on....split again....one more try....split again.....not enough pipe left to do it again. Found a plaster/band-aid in car and a metal/paper tie from a bread bag plus puncture repair kits from the unicorn and flamingo floaties we took.....managed to MacGyver the pipe on and seal it somewhat. Tied a line to a waterproof bag and went fishing for pond water. Got some more water from stream by road. Filled up and managed to make it the remaining 36kms to main road. Petrol station in front of us not open yet. Topped up with more pond water. Made it 30-odd km's to mini-supermarket. Bought loads of water and some crappy coolant and 3 zip ties. Plaster still on so zip tied it down and filled up again. Made it about 90km's to City....filled up 1.2km's from my local garage guy. Quick trip to Audi in taxi....2 hours later new pipe and connections on...refilled/flushed system...good to go. Gonna get the wife the new XC60 Volvo next as am done with a pretty new car (2014) giving me this much jip and dealers just sucking.

Mine is currently in having its waterproof replaced.

Are they fitting modified parts or will this need doing every 30k?!

Bit of a Jackanory on this one....but at least it wasn't my S3.....
We broke down in the middle of fricking nowhere yesterday in my wife's Q5 - 4km's into a 40km trek through uninhabited jungle Indian reserve - with coolant problems. Her car (under warranty) had been in more than 5 times and they never ever fixed the coolant sensor light coming on randomly. So when it did I thought nothing much other than it must have been the very steep hills setting it off.....until I notice the temp on the engine hit max. Luckily noticed a split in the end of the coolant return pipe....and under pressure it was coming out. No cellphone service....no cars about....mates from UK in the car....we are all tired from 3 days not much sleep/hungover/not showered....one of those "oh sh1t" moments.
Cut the pipe...pushed it back on....split again....one more try....split again.....not enough pipe left to do it again. Found a plaster/band-aid in car and a metal/paper tie from a bread bag plus puncture repair kits from the unicorn and flamingo floaties we took.....managed to MacGyver the pipe on and seal it somewhat. Tied a line to a waterproof bag and went fishing for pond water. Got some more water from stream by road. Filled up and managed to make it the remaining 36kms to main road. Petrol station in front of us not open yet. Topped up with more pond water. Made it 30-odd km's to mini-supermarket. Bought loads of water and some crappy coolant and 3 zip ties. Plaster still on so zip tied it down and filled up again. Made it about 90km's to City....filled up 1.2km's from my local garage guy. Quick trip to Audi in taxi....2 hours later new pipe and connections on...refilled/flushed system...good to go. Gonna get the wife the new XC60 Volvo next as am done with a pretty new car (2014) giving me this much jip and dealers just sucking.

On the note of the Volvo XC60 and was a really nice drive, smart interior, nice layout etc. If I had gone down the SUV route it was pretty high on my list, I’d say even above the new Q5.

Reactions: PanamaS3
On the note of the Volvo XC60 and was a really nice drive, smart interior, nice layout etc. If I had gone down the SUV route it was pretty high on my list, I’d say even above the new Q5.
I'm hearing the new XC90, which the 2018 XC60 borrows everything from, is amazing....reviews on XC60 look promising too....next gen basically....think we will be down to just one Audi....

Reactions: The Challinor
I'm hearing the new XC90, which the 2018 XC60 borrows everything from, is amazing....reviews on XC60 look promising too....next gen basically....think we will be down to just one Audi....

They are a looker too, I’d argue the Nav wasn’t as good ( no google earth view ) but the CarPlay was touchscreen and you could run 2 apps at once, everything seemed logical.

Great drive though, the one we test drive had massages seats - they were very nice indeed

5b82af29fbde6e6813d0cf3729826e7c.jpg

Reactions: PanamaS3
Hi guys just thought I’d share some experience of my own. I am a mechanic and own a garage. I have these cars in day in day out. In my experience one of the worst made products made. Am surprised there are no recalls on this . The water pump are a common failure. You can pressure test it and won’t find any leakes but keeping the engine running till the engine is at temperature thats when the problem occurs.you are better off going for a aftermarket water pump which is made from metal and you can be sure you will never have this problem. Hope this helps also just to confirm the problem exists with the s3 8v golf r mk7 and the a3 1.8tfsi