I've just been told that Optimax has ceased production !!

noodle

Reaction score
I've had a real game over the past 2 weeks getting Optimax, my local sation keeps running out.

Same happened today. Went to fill up, ready for the week ahead, and once again they didn't have any! I asked the chap behind the counter why this was and was told that Shell wasn't selling Optimax anymore. Gasp!!

However, he said that they were replacing it with something better, with a higher octane rating - cool!!

I've had a look in Shells website and couldn't see any news about this.

Has anybody else heard this???

I wonder if it's a 100 octane fuel like they have over in France/Italy?

i would love the stuff, but how much will it cost in this country ? about 2 quid a litre i reckon. Thats why i stopped using optimax, i hate seeing the Sale digits go up faster than the Litre digits !

100 Octane would be great! He did say however that the Optimax replacement was going to be 'at a premium'..... We'll wait and see.

In light of my dilema, what do you suggest as a replacement. I do have a BP station near by, but their price is £1.05 a litre!

Olly_K said:
i would love the stuff, but how much will it cost in this country ? about 2 quid a litre i reckon. Thats why i stopped using optimax, i hate seeing the Sale digits go up faster than the Litre digits !

yeah, 70 litre tank, on average £60 to fill up :eek:

exactly, in an rs4 that i've not got more than 220 miles to the tank either !

Olly_K said:

Ouch, I get 340miles on last tank fill up on A4 2.0 Fsi!

How can they stop selling Optimax before they roll out the replacement? I already have to make a 25 mile round trip to get Optimax, it's even further for BP Ultimate, soon it'll take me a tank full just to fill up?

At present im having to use super unleaded with octane booster to take it to 99ron... Seems to work OK, but always prefer optimax!

I have been told numerous times from my local shell garage that they run out quite regulary. The last major time was Xmas when they stated there was non in the country!

Can't see them discontinuing it though....

Isn't there a 102 octane fuel coming out?

From memory, Shell don't call it Optimax on the continent - it's called V-Power and it has a higher octane rating? Perhaps they are just doing a re-branding exercise to make the UK in line with Europe?

When I filled up yesterday, some pumps had 'High Octane' instead of Optimax. It was 97 RON. Is this the Optimax replacement or has their super unleaded been rebranded?

Olly_K said:

I have to say, I can't believe you drive an RS4 and you're moaning about fuel prices!!

Getting back to the topic though, Optimax in West London is like a snowboard in hell and it really bugs me...I can do quarter of a tank finding the stuff!

Why not try BP Ultimate instead? I used Optimax for months but never got the feeling it was any better than normal unleaded. Recently, I've been using BP Ultimate and it definitely feels faster now.

I guess we could all argue about what fuel is best but I just don't like Ultimate in my car! I'd rather use the super unleaded at my local Murco garage.

monkeytrousers said:

My car just doesn't feel as responsive with Ultimate in it and the test on Tiff Gear didn't help. An extra 6 BHP out of an Impreza running on Optimax if I remember correctly?!

So, it seems that nobody is to sure if Optimax is being phased out then?

The guy at my local garage was adament that it was being replaced 'any time now'. Godonly knows what that means. It doesn't help me! Boooooo

Well I thought I'd e.mail them.

Me:

Hi,

I wonder if you could clear something up for me?

I seem to be coming across more and more rumours that Shell plan to phase out 98 Ron Optimax in the UK and replace it with either a 97 Ron fuel or the V-Power (?) sold on the continent.

Could you please let me know if either of these are the case?

Yours,

etc etc

Them:

Dear etc etc

Thank you for your email.

We have no information regarding any changes to Optimax at this time. Thank you for your query.

Kind regards,

Shell Retail Customer Services

Quite simple really.

Surely this is just a rumour.

If shell stop Optimax production, then people with performance cars that need 98+ octaine, will either go to BP or put in some Millers Octaine Booster.

Perhaps Optimax isn't being canned, perhaps Shell are going to rebrand it to V-Power like in Europe?

But you never know, maybe the cost of producing Optimax out-weighs sales, in which case they might stop selling it. I hope not.

AL

all pumps at my local shell still got optimax the guy working there said that they are re nameing optimax he did say what they changing the name. he thought i was wierd askin cuz i filled my car up with diesel but my bro n parents use optimax in their cars.

V-Power is 99 or 100 RON I thing and is being rolled out in the States first. I did a bit a reading on this a few months ago when the Tesco 99 RON stuff was announced.

There is no mention of a European trial or rollout as far as I know.

Look on the bright side lads, V-Power is going to be more expensive and with things going the way they are in the Middle East prices of £1.20 per litre are in the offing.

I don't know about anyone else, but I start itching when I have to pay over a £1 a litre.

A4Andy said:
V-Power is 99 or 100 RON I thing and is being rolled out in the States first. I did a bit a reading on this a few months ago when the Tesco 99 RON stuff was announced.

Look on the bright side lads, V-Power is going to be more expensive and with things going the way they are in the Middle East prices of £1.20 per litre are in the offing.

I don't know about anyone else, but I start itching when I have to pay over a £1 a litre.

I reckon this new stuff that will replace Optimax will be at least 1.10 a litre :(

A4Andy said:

You can buy V-Power in Holland already. It's 100ron and cost 1.55euros/litre.

I'm 99% sure it's already for sale in Germany and most likely other EU countries as well.

V power is definitely for sale in France and switzerland too.
It was 102 RON when I was in Switzerland with my car in Jan. Was a bit too pricey for me at the time though, so can't comment on how good it is!

'Apparantly' it's differant RON in differant countries. In some places it's less than Optimax. It's just a brand name after all, diff countries have diff legislation and taxation so they just tailor it to the territory it's selling in.

Hence why i'm getting an lpg conversion at end of month! Do 300 miles a week to and from work so will be using V-Power (or whatever it's called) for weekends only :)

I'm not sure if anyone cares, but at LeMans I saw an independant demo of two saab 93 (turbo) cars next to each other on two dynos one running 95 and the other running Ultimate, and the Ultimate car was running upto 15-20bhp more on some runs.

The guy from Milbrook running the demo (top chap) said they had been doing comparisons with optimax but shell didn't want to take part in the demo because it's pretty rubbish compared to Ultimate (and sometimes to 95) was a bit of an eye opener to be honest but he basically said ultimate should always come out top and had done in every one of their tests.

Just got the following reply, that may be of interest:

Good Morning,

Shell will continue to provide a high quality differentiated fuel.
Shell Optimax was developed for those UK motorists who seek increased performance and protection for their car.
In determining which fuels to offer to our customers in any given market we undertake extensive research in order to determine which is the most appropriate portfolio to make available.
We will continue to supply the fuels most appropriate for our customers given current customer needs, emerging customer needs, and manufacturing and logistical capabilities and constraints.
With Shell Optimax we feel we have struck the right balance for now in the UK market and we are delighted with the customer response that we have experienced since launch.

Regards

Simon Naughten
Customer Relations - Retail

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 03 July 2006 11:06
To: Customer Services, Customer C SUKOP-ORE/518
Subject: Optimax

Morning,

There is a rumour going around a number of the driver web forums that Shell Optimax (98 OCTANE) is being replaced by V-Power (97 OCTANE) to bring the UK in line with Europe. Is this true?

god_thats_quick said:
I'm not sure if anyone cares, but at LeMans I saw an independant demo of two saab 93 (turbo) cars next to each other on two dynos one running 95 and the other running Ultimate, and the Ultimate car was running upto 15-20bhp more on some runs.

The guy from Milbrook running the demo (top chap) said they had been doing comparisons with optimax but shell didn't want to take part in the demo because it's pretty rubbish compared to Ultimate (and sometimes to 95) was a bit of an eye opener to be honest but he basically said ultimate should always come out top and had done in every one of their tests.

so presumable the SAAB 93 Turbo is mapped for 97/98ron fuel and would suffer severe timing pull on 95ron. Plus the even the same model car one after the other of the production line won't dyno exactly the same.

I've seen plenty of people get great results (VAG-COM logged) from Optimax, others swear by Tesco 99ron, some even use BP Ultimate. I honestly don't think there are night and day differances between them. But you can tell the differance between a good high octane fuel and a low addative (ie Supermarket) 95ron. You don't need to set up a rolling road comparison to prove that - you're butt dyno will tell you!

jesters3 said:
Just got the following reply, that may be of interest:

Good Morning,

Shell will continue to provide a high quality differentiated fuel.
Shell Optimax was developed for those UK motorists who seek increased performance and protection for their car.
In determining which fuels to offer to our customers in any given market we undertake extensive research in order to determine which is the most appropriate portfolio to make available.
We will continue to supply the fuels most appropriate for our customers given current customer needs, emerging customer needs, and manufacturing and logistical capabilities and constraints.
With Shell Optimax we feel we have struck the right balance for now in the UK market and we are delighted with the customer response that we have experienced since launch.

Regards

Simon Naughten
Customer Relations - Retail

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 03 July 2006 11:06
To: Customer Services, Customer C SUKOP-ORE/518
Subject: Optimax

Morning,

There is a rumour going around a number of the driver web forums that Shell Optimax (98 OCTANE) is being replaced by V-Power (97 OCTANE) to bring the UK in line with Europe. Is this true?

You're wasting your time jesters3. I posted something similar a while ago. No one will notice your reply.

Let the internet conspiracies continue.................................:scared2: