ive got a rattle

turboaudi

Reaction score
hi all , just wondering if any one had any knowledge to help with my problem. i have a rattle on the engine when you put a little bit of revs on . at first i thought it was coming from the top of the engine but i have had it on the ramp at work and it sounds like it is coming from the gear box area, the car does need a new clutch i think, cos there isnt much travel on the pedal, about three inches before the clutch disengages. i thought it might be the release bearing but the rattle doesnt go away when you dip the clutch, any ideas would be appreciated. its the 18 turbo aeb, thanks in advance to anyone:think:

sounds like it could be the big/little end shells worn, but im sure someone will correct me if im wrong! hopefully i am and its something not as expensive!

Timing chaim and tensioner is located right at the back of the head,closest to the gearbox.Could well be that

Byzan A4 said:
Timing chaim and tensioner is located right at the back of the head,closest to the gearbox.Could well be that
any idea what those are like to do

Easy enough TBH, you will need a cam cover gasket,and the seal and gasket for the tensioner. The tensioner is quite expensive IIRC,around £150 ish.

The chain and tesioner are around a 5 out of 10 difficulty rating IMO,if you can manage a cam belt or simiar then you can do this. I will look for the "how to" for you

Byzan A4 said:
Easy enough TBH, you will need a cam cover gasket,and the seal and gasket for the tensioner. The tensioner is quite expensive IIRC,around £150 ish.

The chain and tesioner are around a 5 out of 10 difficulty rating IMO,if you can manage a cam belt or simiar then you can do this. I will look for the "how to" for you
thanks

mine has the same prob. is it when you back off the revs aswel? is it a metalic rattle? just sum of the lads on here sed mine is more likely to be the actuator. i had to check for play on the rod.
hope this helps.

mine has what i think you call pinking
just at low revs then it clears as you accelarate
was goin to try the battery off thing then leave ignition on for 30 secs

johnyj said:
what does that do

johnyj said:

It would be very unlikely to get pinking whilst not under any load TBH

Detonation usually occurs when under load and WOT ,IME

Help! There seems to be a common thread here!.I have a A4 T Sport Avant with the AEB engine.There is rattle from the top/rear of the head.This noise which sounds like a slack camchain,is more noticeable on the overrun.Am I correct and where is the best place to source replacements?.Also, the engine runs well,but just seem to lack low down push of a AUM coded motor.Replaced plugs and MAF.Still the same.Any help would be welcome,Cheers

I dont know what an AUM engine is, but some of the 1.8T's have smaller cylinder head ports, which would likely mean that it would feel torquey at lower revs than the AEB

Found that rattle...Knackered wastegate on turbo.Easy to find,difficult to pay for!