1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've got a knock knock knocking

tdia4 Aug 29, 2010

1. tdia4

tdia4 TDIPOWARRR

As the title says, my cars started knocking when going over pot holes etc, im going to replace the anti roll bar drop links, does it sound like it could be this? Or anything else? My wheel bearing is well on its way out on that side aswell, would this be doing it?

Oh and i had a quick look at the suspension set up yesterday and noticed that the large bolt (top part)
    was snapped, so would this be doing anything? I've ordered another set of these bolts because i've heard they snap whenever you try take them off and because i'll be having coilovers fitted soon i thought id get some new one.

2. jcb

jcb Active Member

ball joints....all of them.
    save yourself some ball ache and replace the whole lot. (£300+ Meyle kit from allgermanparts)
    snapped bolts are never a good sign. I assume you mean the pinch bolt?

3. tdia4

tdia4 TDIPOWARRR

Ye its the pinch bolt that has snapped

4. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

Yeah, that bolt should be holding your top ball joints in the upright. :)

5. tdia4

tdia4 TDIPOWARRR

Yeah, it's still in, just noticed the nut has been snapped off, would this make a knocking do you think?

6. jcb

jcb Active Member

no. my money is on the lower ball joints and possibly some bushes worn out.
    does it knock on full lock?

7. tdia4

tdia4 TDIPOWARRR

Not tried buddy, just noticed it when going over man hole covers, pot holes etc. Can anyone point me in the direction for the parts i will need, seems to be so many for the a4 suspension wise.

8. jcb

jcb Active Member

seriously, you are probably prolonging the knock for a few months by only replacing a few parts in the front suspension.
    you would be wise to replace the whole set of arms left and right.

if one ball joint or bush is shaged then they are probably all pretty worn. It is not a big job if you wanted to do it yourself and if you are paying someone else you are saving yourself a fortune by doing it once properly.

it is also very difficult to pinpoint exactly which one is producing teh noise whilst it is standing still

9. AndyC

AndyC Moderator Moderator

They always tend to go together..... do the lot

10. evilscotsman

evilscotsman Space Cowboy

11. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

If you fit that, you'll be changing it again in 6 months.

I did, 4 months later the balljoints had more play than the ones i removed, and it wrecked both front tyres.

Meyle or Lemforder.

12. THE MONSTER

THE MONSTER Member

What does everyone think of these..

file:///H:/FRONT-SUSPEN-ARMS-LINKS-T-R-ENDS_W0QQitemZ300363771214QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM.htm

13. aragorn

See my previous reply.

Its one area i just wouldnt skimp on, because its not just the parts, but the associated costs (ie tracking, tyre wear etc) that make it an expensive job to have to do twice.

14. THE MONSTER

THE MONSTER Member

Would it not be best to replace with the Genuine Audi ones then if it's so critical or is it a Mortgage job..just passed my MOT so mine should be ok...

The guy there did said they are always failing them on Audis..

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  15. aragorn

Audi parts are VERY expensive.

The Meyle and Lemforder bits are decent quality and should last a sensible amount of time, but your not paying the Audi tax.

16. THE MONSTER

THE MONSTER Member

Has anyone actually enquired about the price of the Audi Ones...

17. jcb

jcb Active Member

they use meyle/lemforder/febi parts anyway. you are just bending over for the sake of it

18. THE MONSTER

THE MONSTER Member

Right,did not know they use the same supplier..so no need to get Audi ones..Worth knowing another thing waiting to happen on the List..

19. aragorn

rough prices from etka, but to give you a ballpark, Lower rear arm is ~£170, Lower front arm is ~£200, upper arms are ~£90 each

C-Links are about £35 each and rod ends are ~£60 each

So a full setup from audi would be somewhere in the region of £1100.

Lemforder, who are apparently the OEM, will sell you the parts for about half that, and Meyle are a bit cheaper.

20. jcb

jcb Active Member

i use a company called TPS (Trade part services.
    I get Audi or VAG boxed and branded parts at trade prices, seriously cheap compared to Audi

21. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group s tronic S-line owners group

I went for a meyle kit got if from Germany for just under £300. I did price the Lemforder parts from eurocarparts and that was around £410, but not sure if the Lemforder parts come with all the bolts, if not then add another £20 ish. The Melye kits come with all the required bolts.

Lemforder are an OEM suppler as that's what is printed along with the Audi logo on some of the arm's that were take off.

22. AndyC

AndyC Moderator Moderator

I have seen Lemforda parts, with gen Audi logos and part numbers...

23. evilscotsman

well, I paid £350 for the whole car with the boost fault (now fixed) and with 6 months tax n' test, and its not worth more than a grand in good nick even wi a full years mot & tax, so sorry lads, could never ever justify those crazy prices for suspension arms and balljoints! Sheesh lemforder single link arms are like £70 each and the flamin B5 has loads of them!

LOL!

It'll be ebay cheapos for this old bus any day.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  24. aragorn

Ye, but on the other hand, how many **** sets would you go thru, before you get fed up with changing them every 4 months and replacing the tyres they've wrecked too?

Sure, i wouldnt fit lemforder parts to an old clunker, but the meyle stuff is decent enough and a decent amount cheaper.

25. jamie226bhp

jamie226bhp Member

these are general wear and tear items and if you want to keep a car nice and driving correct you need to do certain bits, regular 5k oil changes, arms, mounts, suspension etc unless it's just a cheap throw away car which you'll scrap

26. jamie226bhp

jamie226bhp Member

fords are cheap for parts !

27. evilscotsman

it is a cheap throw away car in a way, at 14 years old its not worth much and never will be. Does anyone know of a full kit for it that uses meyle parts and reasonably cheap? (under £300) I do like the car but couldnt justify spending like £500-600 notes on suspension parts for it, never in a million years. Servicing needs done, yeah and if it was my pride and joy (the B6 was till it died) then defo but its not.

28. jamie226bhp

jamie226bhp Member

O34 do a kit for about 350 dollars but not sur what postage would be unless you know someone that lives or is going out there

29. aragorn

TBH, if i was on a budget and considered the car to be a binger that wasnt worth spending money on, i'd use quality parts, but i'd only replace whats needed.

The complete meyle kit is £330ish on german ebay, and thats what i put on the old car, but if it was a jalopy i didnt care about, i'd only have replaced the upper arms when they failed, rather than fitting the full kit.

The only thing i'd recommend doing on it is the rear axle bushes, as those really transform how the motor drives, and cost £15.

30. jamie226bhp

jamie226bhp Member

are the rear axle bushes a pain to do ie need a press as would poly ones be easier to fit

31. aragorn

We did it without removing the axle, using threaded rod and bits of pipe to press the bushes out, and back in.

Just removed the two big bolts and gently lowered the axle down, cant go too far due to the brake hoses though.

Dont you have a quattro though?

32. jamie226bhp

jamie226bhp Member

Oh yeah different setup on them

33. evilscotsman

nice one cheers Aragorn, will look at them.

sorry for bein pissy earlier, had found a whopping hole under the battery, that sickened me a bit, but hey it can be welded I suppose.

in truth I do love the car! ;)

34. aragorn

A hole?!

Sure its not jsut the drain hole?

35. evilscotsman

its bigger than a fist lol, the B5 seems to have suffered battery leakage issues in some early cars, mine had the battery replaced under warranty for acid leakage, I guess it wasnt treated to prevent further corrosion, weldable tho I reckon.