1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i've gone shares with some mates on a.....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by a4quat, Feb 18, 2009.

1. a4quat

a4quat Member

track car, its a mk3 ibiza gti. All track prep'ed roll cage etc. it just needs a couple of finishing touches i.e. we are gonna put the dash back in as it is a little over the top with weight reduction also there is a spring gone but they are tarmac spec springs? so we are gonna put standard springs back on the front. after that we should have our first track day around april time (hopefully). Has anyone else got a track car if so how much are the running costs? how often do you do track days? and is it best to deal with tdo's or not!

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line Audi S3

Sounds good, pics?

4. a4quat

a4quat Member

anyone got any tips on what sites to look at for booking track days, also how much fuel are we likely to use? and do we need to change brake fluid after evey track day? daft questions i know but we are first timers at this lol.

5. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line Audi S3

Looks fun! :racer:

As for tracks, maybe you should subscribe to Bookatrack.com, they email you constant updates on available tracks, and you can book in advance with a little discount I think. As for fuel, I guess you would get around 15 mpg in that car at a guess... just fill it to the top and drive it, then fill up again when you feel like it, making sure it never goes dry lol

6. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

Snap! I've been tracking my Ibiza for 4.5 years after my S3 replaced it as my main car. I wouldn't put standard springs back in - you need something stiffer. I've got Bilstein Sprintlines in mine but they aren't really stiff enough so I'd opt for something stiffer next time round.

In response to your questions:
    Fuel - I take as close to a full tank into the track as I can, and 20 litres in jerry cans. That's enough for about 200 miles on the track and enough to get back to the petrol station which is about the max you will be able to do without trashing your car. You need to plan on around 20 mins driving in every hour to give time for the car to cool down.

Brakes - you need to put some decent pads on - I recommend Ferrodo DS2500 or DS3000s. I ran all sorts of 'track day' and 'fast road' pads which, in their worst case, didn't even last 2 track days. The Ferrodos will last and last - I got about 15 from a front set from memory and I'm now on set number 2.

Dash - you don't need a dash...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brake fluid - mine has standard fluid in it, just change as normal every 2 years. Decent brake pads are more important. Also as it sounds like your new car has been in a diet like mine, it isn't carting around quite so much weight so the standard sized 256mm brakes with uprated pads can be very effective. Some upgrade to the 280mm brakes from the 16v but I've not seen the need to.

Anti-rollbars - these are the single most effective upgrade to a track car - you can get Neuspeed ones for the Ibiza Mk3 which will fit your car with a separate bracket made up to bolt the rear one on.

Tyres - I run mine on some very sticky Colway remoulds designed for tarmac rally stages. Unfortunately Colway went bust but I still have a few left. I need to find a new replacement tyre (I think Dunlop make something similar) but the Colways were a bargain at £45 a corner and I could get 4 or 5 days out of a set.

Spacers - not sure if your car will have them, but worth investing in a set of 10mm or 15mm rear spacers. The rear track is narrower than the front making for some interesting handling. Sticking some spacers on the back will help to sort that out.

Booking - I've used places like easytrack, trackdays.co.uk and then done them with clubs (e.g. seatcupra.net who do 2 or 3 trackdays a year) or direct with the circuit. I've driven at Castle Combe, Goodwood, Brands, Bedford, Donington, RAF Marham & Cadwell Park. The costs vary - as cheap as £99 for a winter day during the week, but can be well over £200+ for a popular track on a summer weekend.
    You also have to decide if you want to go for a sessioned day (i.e. you go out at the same time each hour for a set duration - e.g. 20 mins every hour) or for an open pitlane - where you come and go as you please. The latter tend to be more expensive but usually provide more driving time.

Most of all, have fun! It's scary at first but it will improve your driving no end.

[​IMG]

Send me a PM if you want more info as I'm happy to help. I normally do around 6 trackdays a year. I haven't got anything booked at the moment but as I haven't been out since November, I'm itching to go...

Finally, sorry to be pedantic, but you've bought a Mk2 Ibiza GTi. Judging by the piccie of eBay it is the same age as mine - i.e. a 1994. The Mk3 came in in 2000.