iTunes Rip Off or am I missing something

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
OK so they take your money for the downloaded tracks and then inform you that you can't burn the tracks to MP3 CD. WTF?
Have I really got to burn them to audio CD then RIP them back to MP3 to get what I want?

yup, DRM protected files cannot easily be converted to MP3.

1 country (think its finland) has also recently passed a law that makes it illegal to circumvent DRM protection.

expect most other countries to be next in passing the law too.

not great news, as you'll end up with proprietary file formats your locked into.

best bet is to use allofmp3.com.

Thanks, is this feeble protection supposed to stop the music pirates?
As always it just pi$$es off their real customers, the serious criminals will get round it as usual.
Well iTunes has just been sitting there supposedly burning an MP3 Cd for the last 20 minutes - completely locked up. I used to be a big fan but not so sure now.

Back to something that actually works I think.

So just burnt the iTunes DRM protected files to normal audio CD, ripped them back to MP3 and now have successfully burnt them to an MP3 CD.
Yeah really complex protection, just plain pathetic.

gtkpod is a util for transferring music to an ipod under linux.. it wont remove DRM protection.

I had a look at them but I couldn't see how you could download specific tracks. Looked to me like it was purely whole albums.
What I like about iTunes is that you can download the extra tracks or live tracks that weren't on the original CD, rather than have to buy the whole CD again.

i download music via napster..

i would have gone with the american one that charges something like $25 joining fee and thats if for life but napster is good with recommending music etc.. and its easy to use..

i then use a software to convert the WMA format songs that napster has into MP3 this can then be put into iTunes and then put on my Ipod or Data CD without any hassle of protected music..

i own the songs so in theory i should be able to so as i please with it..for my own personal use..

as i am not sharing it with anyone else...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I had a look at them but I couldn't see how you could download specific tracks. Looked to me like it was purely whole albums.
What I like about iTunes is that you can download the extra tracks or live tracks that weren't on the original CD, rather than have to buy the whole CD again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been using allofmp3.com now for a while, you can download single tracks from any album on the site and at various bitrates. I rate it.

I have been using emusic for about 2 years now and I find it good as I don't like mainstream music. They have a lot of underground labels and bands.

www.emusic.com

I think you need to change the burning option in iTunes to burn MP3 CD's:

Edit - Preferences, then select the Advanced tab and then the Burning tab and make the disc format MP3 CD

hi seems to be some knowldege here. I have just recently bough a 60gb ipod and want to know if I rip all my tunes to it then bin the PC will I be able to add more tunes to my ipod from my laptop. I remember trying to plug my shuffle from one machine to another and itunes wouldn't let me?

any help on this would be greta as i fear binning my old pc until i get an answer, cheers

Don't bin you're old PC just yet!

It can be done but you need to be careful - I'll run through it with you next time we catch up. If anyone else fancies I'll spend time make a post up - but it's complicated.

Kev.

I use Napster. I pay £10.00 per month and can download as many tracks or albums as I so wish to. Although the downloaded content is in WMA format and that it is DRM protected I just use Windows Media to play said DRM files and use Creative Media player to Record the WMA straight to my desired bit rate MP3.

The only hassle in this is you end up with one MP3 file that is unprotected so if recording a whole album you don’t get separate MP3's you get one large MP3. Annoying if you want to shuffle your tunes within an album etc.

So the next step is to use MP3 Splitter, it has manual and auto pause detection so then splits the MP3 back to individual files, you then have to rename and put the ID3 tag information to each file although I make sure all ID3 tags are correct anyways it does not seem to bother me.

Long-winded yes but I have over 300 albums for I think at my last count £50.00. Is it a deal or just steal. Hmmm.