It's turbo time! 1.8t

Davaroo

Reaction score
hi!

Had the dread d whistle diagnosed as bad turbo at midland vw today.

They want crazy money, I can't justify it. Any heads up from you guys?

Haha..someone's been watching too many Arnie films :p

So did they diagnose the turbo as knackered? Did you scan it using VCDS?

If it does turn out to be knackered (hopefully not), why not give it to BBT (Beach buggy turbos) who will hybrid your turbo and make it a little monster.

Gotta love arnie!

Mad a smoke test, no leaks so whistle must be that. Said he heard it all too often.

What kinda cost that normally fella, they told me the car has bee Mapped, so would be interesting

Check in the forum classifieds as there maybe someone breaking a 1.8T with a decent turbo. Obviously an exchange recon is a possibilty too.
I certainly wouldn't trust a VAG main dealer for any diagnostic for a blown turbo really. Find a good VAG independent they fix & repair not just throw new part at it like a main dealers do..

Will do, just messagedthose guys so see what hey say.

Midland vw is where I went.

Actually this varies.

Ive had mates do both. Depends who you contact.

Ask BBT would they would advise.

Reconditioning your turbo and in the process Hybridding it with BBT will no doubt be cheaper than a direct K04 upgrade.

You could literally use both as 100% bolt on swaps BUT that would be no point as you would have upgraded your turbo and not reaped the benefits.

Phrased another way, If you go hybrid or K04, at least do some supporting mod upgrades!

Well was kinda thinkin of whacking a second hand one on for now and getting this one sexed up a bit then look into that. Problem is. He k03s 073 seems to be impossible to get second hand!

If I go down the road of a recon existing one, it will stay like that, so ideally the second hand for now option is what I want really

Car has been mapped apparently, bolt on k04 be any good there? Which model specifically for the bex 190, or is it not an issue? Not familiar with these engines at all, come from a z20let background

One more thing, these cheap £160 units in eBay, tell me they're crap, anyone had one here? Awfully tempting

I know some of the US AZ guys tried out the Ebay turbo from China and it pretty much failed in the first week. You're risking a lot more than the turbo if you do!

Ebay Turbos
Yes, I would certainly stay well away from Ebay turbos. Even if 1 out of 10 of these turbos ended up being ok..I wouldn't risk it.

I do love a bargain (dont we all) but this is something I wouldnt mess with. Always go OEM or reputable tuning/reconditioning company like BBT or TTE.

Ko4
Putting a Ko4 in your motor will be perfectly fine but its difficult to tell if you need to re-map the ECU. Best speak to a tuning house, ask them if the physical ko4 turbo literally drops right in or do you need adaptation.

Your current turbo and finding a replacement
Try looking on VAG forums on facebook for your specific turbo. There are quite a few.
Failing that, I would say its time to upgrade the turbo. Good opportunity to do so.