It's a Sad Decision

I

imported_GezzerS4

Probably have made a very sad decision this weekend, my beloved S4 has to go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My job has recently expanded and I am now travelling 500 - 600 miles a week, the S4 has 87k on it, she is a peach, and I really don't like the idea of thrashing it into the ground, so spent all day Saturday at the stealers weighing up the options:

First drove the A3 2.0 TDI Sport , ok car but I simply cannot do the oil burning bit, it was noisy on acceleration, but on the upside was nice and quiet when cruising and would return 50mpg all day.

Next came the 2.0T (200hp) DSG A3, much better, but by the time I had specced it to my taste it came in a over £27k /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Then I got my hands on the 3.2 TT DSG, much better, nice noise, nice gearbox, only thing missing was the Turbo "kick", but the best of the bunch.

Considered a new S4, Price, Price, Price £47k with all the bits, but still no Turbo.

Still there is an upside, wife said that if I get the TT 3.2, she will have it when I order the RS4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif for an Autumn 06 delivery.

So there it is, a sad day, and boy am I going to miss those turbo horses and 390 ft / Lb under my right foot.

I did consider one other thing though, keeping the S4, and giving it the full KO4 treatment, brakes, coil-overs the full works, and then getting a dog for commuting, spent a while dreaming about that, but wife quite rightly said "So you think you could resist running the S4 every day - yeah right", and I think she is right, picture the choice - nice shiny S4, Leather, climate, POWER, class, comfort and pace, Vs Dog rep-mobile that everybody else has got.

So unless anybody else has got any bright ideas for me to consider I will just sulk for a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I would just get an older A4 like 1.8T, or diesel as your run about and give the S4 the "works".

Fair enough you will always be gutted having to use it but it will make your S4 feel even faster when you get to use it again.

And if it is the car you really love then you may aswell keep it.

Cheers

I agree with Soupie. If you replace the S4 with something you like less, you will spend all your time driving a car you don't want, and won't have a bolt hole to turn to. But if you keep the S4, and buy an older, modest A3 or A4 for commuting, OK, it still won't be much fun, but at least you've still got the S4 for evenings & weekends, & you'll enjoy and appreciate it even more after a week pounding the motorways in the other one.

I recently decided to park up my S4 as i didnt like the amount of miles i was putting on it ( and i do less than you). Instead i now drive a P plate Saxo 1.1 thats got over 100000 on the clock (probably now worth about £300). Its a dog but it gets me almost 130miles extra miles than the s4.

There really is nothing like coming out of a car like a Saxo and into a car like an s4. I was able to resist getting back into the s4 for almost 4 weeks once, When i did finally take it out it made me feel exactly the same as when i first test drove it after i had the remap, it felt so good! absence makes the heart grow fonder.