Issues with Sky+HD

FL1X

Reaction score
Absolutely nothing to do with cars im afraid.

Over the past 2 days my sky died and insisted that no signal was being recieved i did all the usual tricks resetting the LNB checking the dish was pointing at the correct satellite (Astra 2 or 0002 if your using the sky box built in checking system) i eventually gave up and phoned sky low and behold after going through some rather stupid questions it started working again, worked all night untill about 3am this morning when a recording failed and its broken again.

Ive done alot of digging online but i cant seem to find the cause or cure except phone sky.

Any one had this and managed to fix it permanently rather than it going on and off randomly?

Ta

Paul
:kissmyrings:

Hi mate, did you get the box through Sky, if so they normally give a 12 month warranty and will send an engineer out free of charge, if they say they want to charge for one, kick off, have a bit of a moan and then say that if they are going to charge you, you want full re imbursement for the subscription you are paying and for the lack of TV viewing and also for the time off you will have to take from work, then see what they say.

It works!!

It may also be that the dish needs raising, have you got any trees of anything in direct line of the dish, as this could cause you problems.

We used to have this quite often, due to having large trees at the back of the house, but then had the dish moved right to the top of the house and so far so good....

Let us know how you get on :)

Its a shared Dish im the only one with issues though i phoned sky again and they tried the same trick to make it work and it didnt so they are sending me a engineer FOC and will credit my account i didnt even have to kick off!

Its just ridiculous since i got sky it took 9 week NINE to get my phone line installed my box has broken several times and customer services are a joke make promises but dont delivery, on the up side i do have about £300 of credit on my accout allready :D

Thanks for the advice

Paul

I sometimes get a similar problem on both a Sky+ HD box and normal sky+ box where you switch it on and it says no signal.
All I do is unplug it then plug it back in and it sorts itself out. I read somewhere that its a problem with the power supply. I keep meaning to get onto sky about it as I have extended warranty service plan which already came in handy when the sky+ box went pop. But I find its more hassel than its worth with intermittant faults as chances are they will just get you to power cycle it and then it will be working again so the person on the other end of the phone will see it as job done.
I put my fault down to either the sky box not sending a signal to the LNB to power it up or just a dodgy LNB.

Thats good they are doing it FOC, A mate of mine called sky out once they charged the £65 then all the engineer did was move some branches on a tree near the dish and it worked. He lives in a Bungalow aswell so the dish was at head height. I told him when I found out that I could have done that for half the money

If it's a shared dish that might give a clue...

If you mess about with LNB cables while there's power to the LNB (via the cable(s) on your box, OR via cables from another box), they can trip out, and in some cases it's even possible to blow them up... One of our engineers totalled a PM's quad LNB because he wasn't particularly careful with the cables while he plumbed our equipment in.

It might be worth going "Oi! Stop f**king about with your Sky box!" to whoever you share your dish with, and if they go "What? How dare you speak to me like that!?!" - you've eliminated one source of the problem...

Also, out of interest, is Auto-Standby enabled on your box? I've seen that cause weird issues in cases - normally it's indicative of a faulty box, so if you disable it and it all works fine, give Sky a row and they'll probably agree to swap it...

Regards,

Rob.

Had a similar problem with my Sky HD box, recordings sometimes working and sometimes failing. Did all the normal stuff - power off/on, take card out/wipe clean/replace etc and nothing worked so was just about to 'phone sky when decided to check out the back of the box only to find one of the cables from the dish hanging free - how dumb was I for not checking them in the first place !!

There is a hidden system menu that has some diagnostics (you can format the hard drive from here so need to be carefull what you - usual disclaimer applies ;-) )

goto the services menu
on the remote press 4 then 0 (zero) then 1 then select

that will bring the menu up

As I said, if you do use this be carefull as you can trash the box.

I dont think you actually trash the box itself but the software on the Hard drive that Sky uses, I had a normal Sky+ box that broke down with the Hard drive failing. I had a phone call with Sky for 20 minutes and was always 5 steps ahead of the bloke on the other end of the phone. All they do is instruct you to use the hidden menu and do a rebuild first, this sorts the files on the hard drive and restarts the box. If that doesnt provide stability to the recording they next ask you to do Full System Reset, basically a reformat, and if this fails to restore stability or restore recording functions they will send out the engineer.
Then you go through the whole process of trying to tell the engineer that whatever he does he wont get the box to work, I got a new box and I hated it, think it went from a quiet pace box to a noisy thompson one.

Also if you want access the hidden menu new SkyHD+ programme guide you goto the services menu and slide it over to settings and do the old routine and the hidden menu will appear.

Also a note, I bought my HD box from a shop on ebay and its never missed a beat, a pure bargain at 180 quid when Sky were selling at 300 with a contract.

Have you got the new EPG?? If so then this is the fix -

The problem is the default trnsponder tuned after the new EPG update, to sort it out try the following:

1. If a switch on it says no signal and 29 in the video window box then.
2. Press TV Guide Button.
3. go to the top (Functions) Bar.
4. scroll thru to Settings menu.
5. scroll down to "Picture".
6. then press 0,1,select quickly to get to service menu.
7. scoll across to TX`PONDER.
8. If it says 11.856 V as it did on mine change to 10.714 H.
9. reboot and hopefilly all is back to normal.

10.714 H is the Channel 4HD transponder and has a High signal level it seems.

This worked for me btw. Although I'm waiting for it to happen again which means it needs to PSU mod.

When ever its raining rather hard (most days at the moment) my HD box will not receive a signal, my Sky + box in my bedroom works fine how ever hard it rain's.
Also if you have a programe on record and it rains the recording will fail.

I rang Sky and they said "yes when it rains hard a lot of people loose signal on HD boxes"!! I said "well will you give me a refund for all the hours it does not work"?? they said "no". What ****** me off is if I were to miss 1 monthly payment they would switch off my service straight away, but if there service (which I pay for) does not work its tuff luck to me...Great customer service there then..I would go to Virgin TV but I want the HD for the new football season...what ever happened to consumer rights?