issues with new xenon bulbs? advice?

s3kirk

Reaction score
So i decided to buy new bulbs as my old ones were on their way out, one more yellow than the other and both not very bright at night. etc. so replaced them with new 6k D2S bulbs and for the first day and night they worked perfectly, much brighter nice white colour. this morning however i turned my lights on and i noticed in the reflection of a parked car in front only one was working and shortly followed by a bulb out in the dis. through out the day either the left or right side would work, sometimes not both at all, sometimes both would stay on if i kept playing around with the switch. Now before the new bulbs never had a problem with the ballasts and the old bulbs, worked spot on every time. is it a case of duff bulbs? is it a bit of a lottery when buying bulbs of ebay? checked all fuses and connections? dont understand what else it could be?. facelift headlights btw.

thanks
kirk

did you buy branded bulbs ie philips or osram?

did you buy branded bulbs ie philips or osram?

no not branded ones, i know what your going to say lol. but i did do a search and found alot of people were buying cheap ones off ebay and having no problems.

With the cheaper ones you're playing luck of the draw!

Reactions: TTE Si
the seller sold with a years warranty on the bulbs so I felt that they should of worked fine. I will email him and se what he says and probably send them back.

I had this and it was the ballasts... changed the bulbs to 6000k ones and it would still do it so I bought a set of D2S compatible ballasts from Trups (EM Tuning) and they are now working 100%

<tuffty/>

I had this and it was the ballasts... changed the bulbs to 6000k ones and it would still do it so I bought a set of D2S compatible ballasts from Trups (EM Tuning) and they are now working 100%

<tuffty/>
before i changed to the 6k bulbs, the lights were working fine no issues. just wanted to refresh the lights as the bulbs were tired and old. one of them had white burn marks, i assumed they were the originals as they were Philips, but otherwise worked fine as i drive with lights on during the day too. cant be the ballasts otherwise it would of done the same with the old bulbs.

but thanks tuffty, once i sort out these bulbs will message Trups. didnt realise he did xenon bulbs, i thought he just did interior led bulbs, my bad should of gone to the pro first

incase anyone was wondering.

tired old oem, like candles in the dark. lol

new ones, can actually see in the dark.

New bulbs look good mate, have you got the white sidelight bulbs in aswell? Thinking about changed both of mine once I have refurbed the lens

Why dont you quickly try swapping back to the old bulbs and see if they are ok.

New bulbs look good mate, have you got the white sidelight bulbs in aswell? Thinking about changed both of mine once I have refurbed the lens
yeah led ones, my lenses desperately need a refub, which is more apparent with new bulbs in, added to the to do list.

Why dont you quickly try swapping back to the old bulbs and see if they are ok.
put one old bulb back in and it worked fine, didnt really want to put the other with the heat damage in just in case, anyway coincidentally spent all day on the road and only first thing this morning one bulb wouldnt fire up. other than that they have been working fine all day. head scratching continues. lol

I changed my bulbs and then one headlight refused to come on, switch them off and both would work.

This continued for about a week and then finally only one would come on.

New ballasts from trups and they both work fine again. Coinidentially the bulbs were supplied by him also.

Stick with branded. Cheap copy's are just that in my experience.