Isofix retrofit? Is it possible?

A3SBQ

A3 SportBack 2TFSI quattro DSG
Reaction score
Hi there.
We are getting our first baby in August and this means I have to invest in new gadgets like baby seat. I realized that I don't have Isofix in the back seat. Can this be retrofitted?
I found a thread in the A4 forum showing this with part no.

Have also read it might be able to be installed in the A3 SportBack.

Can someone please tell me if this is correct?

Here is the part no.
8E0 813 545 Left Isofix Bar
8E0 813 546 Right Isofix Bar
8L0 837 453 Torx Bolt, need 2 per isofix bar

I'm not familiar with the isofix fitting particular to the audi so I'm not going to comment on that. As a parent of 2 kids I would say that isofix is not an essential. In fact there is some evidence to suggest it's actually worse in some scenarios than a well fitting seat-belt fastened restraint, something to do with the lack of 'give' in the fitting. I guess the advice I have for you is don't panic if you don't have isofix, ultimately, its not black and white the best option.

Thanks Mike597.
Good points. The thing with Isofix it's easy to Snap out the seat for the wife. As you say you are a famely man you know that small things can easily get BIG and stressful. Hehe.
We also have two cars and to swap over the seat is also a lot faster.

Hi so hope it's possible to retrofit. Don't understand why it's not installed. My 4 year older SportBack had it.

What year is your car? And is it UK?
I'm sure all UK audi's came with isofix after a certain year. Maybe 2004?

Not sure what sort of seat you'll be going for, presumably something rear facing like the maxi-cosi cabrio fix? The base for this will fit in both iso and non-iso cars and it's equally easy to remove from both.
Whatever seat you get, I would have a trial at putting it in and out of the car if possible at a store. I have 3 cars and ended up buying seats for all of them because I was sick of the hassle of moving of an isofix seat - firstly they are *heavy* and big so hard to get into the car without either hurting your back or damaging some part of the car, secondly I was tired of losing the skin on the fingers, the clips at the side to unlock isofix seemed to be designed solely to trap your fingers. I don't think my wife has *EVER* either fitted or removed any of the car seats.;)

good luck either way, and yes what year is your car? I suspect there are regional variations in isofix preparation - i see you're in norway - certainly in the UK pretty much all euro spec cars have been isofix pre-fitted for some years.

My car is a 2009 SportBack.
I live in Norway.
My old 2005 had it and it could be easally seen in the back seat.
My car was a showroom car from Audi and it is loaded with extras. It was only missing Isofix, Bluetooth, rear Park sensors. The guy who ordered the car must be a total idiot.

The seat I bought is Maxi-cosi pebble plus with the 2way isofix stand. My second car is a company car and will hopefully be a Skoda Superb wagon so the A3 will be my second car for dady to blow of some steam on the tracks when needed. (2.0TSI DSG quattro with APR K04 turbo kit)

I thank you all for giving me help. It's not easy to be a first time dad with no clue on what to expect. Was out shopping equipment yesterday and I had no idea how expensive things are. Spent £1500 and haven't bought the baby stroller yet.

Wife when crazy since there was a big sale with 30% discount. Lol. Hopefully I saved some money there.

Now back to the fixing posts. Do you think the part no will be possible to retrofit? Mod is still a mod. Hehe

Personally, I would call audi direct. Surely an easy question for their parts department to answer.

I have the ISO fix in the a3 and the a5 and also in the wife's corolla. makes fitting that damn car seat easy. Once you fit the base in it doesn't need removing. I also got the audi baby mirror so that I can see my new baby from the drivers seat as she is rear facing.
It's all small things us new daddy's want for our precious babies to feel like they have everything.
As far as I remember the isofix bars attach to the car just behind the rear seat, the front seat base has the isofix base built into it so would be a replacement base.
I can't remember off the top of my head how the rears are attached to the car but I think it's just bolted on

Hi Ash. Thanks for your info.
Can it be that the Isofix looks different in my facelift A3? My old prefacelift had smal cut outs or pockets for the Isofix. After some google pictures I see it's just a strap between the back rest and sitting part. Maybe I just haven't notest it?
I'll have a look and stik my hand inn between and feel here out. Hehe.

Guys. Had a extra look in my car today. I got isofix strap welded into the floor/back. 4pc. The seat has no visible cut outs only from the back so you don't see a lump in the seat fabric and /or leather. Not sure if I need to get the plastic frame to surround the isofix from the seat or just press away when installing the isofix base. Last option will leave the leather curly after a while but probably it will straighten it self afterwards.
I'm so happy right now. The wife will let me keep the car. Yahoo.
Thanks for all your inputs and advice.
2015 05 03 200454

Cool. Most seats come with square plastic cut out to put over the bar to make it easier to locate the seat. Personally don't find them that useful.

My 07 plate as them you can just see the plastic where they fit,I also have them in the front passenger seat too

Iso