is this right??????????

Turbo9639

3rd gear
Reaction score
hi, had my audi black edition for a couple of weeks now and all been great, (until this morning) general i follow the onboard computer regarding which gear i should be in, (a little obsessed with the fuel comsumption lol) however this morning i noticed when normally its telling me to change into the higher gear its not, its telling me to change into a lower gear which is holding the rpm at approx 2000rpm, and there is a strange burning smell, any ideas????????

there is no warning lights present.
the smell did smell like brake or clutch, however i checked all the brakes for heat and all ok.

Thats strange.Sounds like the DIS is telling you to clean the dpf out.But id have thought that the warning light would have come on.Is the smell a bit like burnt bakelite? If so this could be the dpf burning off deposits, but i dont understand how the dis is 'guiding' you if you see what i mean.Id still visit the dealer esp as its a new motor.

Thats strange.Sounds like the DIS is telling you to clean the dpf out.But id have thought that the warning light would have come on.Is the smell a bit like burnt bakelite? If so this could be the dpf burning off deposits, but i dont understand how the dis is 'guiding' you if you see what i mean.Id still visit the dealer esp as its a new motor.
what does burning bakelite smell like?????
would the fumes make your eyes run, burn ect

thats one of the reasons I got rid of my diesel, fumes are really bad for you, dpf is great but still wouldnt trust it. Petrol much safer and hassle free.:] BTW mine sometimes tent to do that but that was when I removed a dpf.

first of all you would get DPF warning in the dash otherwise the problem lays somewhere else.

thats as i thought, however why would the dis change the gear selection times? aiming the car to be driven at approx 2000rpm no matter what gear i am in, time for vcds i think.

Looks like a gearbox problem to me or some sensor fail. Try to scan it ith VCDS asap as it might be something small but worth fixing before more issuse will occur.