1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'A5/S5/RS5 Forum' started by Vibe, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Vibe

Vibe New Member

[Aug 17, 2014]
    Hi,

just a quick one

So picked up my S5 Tuesday and ive noticed when I gently pull away or reverse the revs bounce? Quite annoying when reversing

Many thanks :)
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. Shrek5

Shrek5 Well-Known Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    Hi Vibe,

Could do with a bit more info, like the age of the vehicle etc. I know you only picked it up Tuesday but not sure if that is used or new. So some info we could do with would be engine, gearbox etc. Also a better (if you can! ;) ) description of revs bounce. Is it when you use the accelerator or is it just at tickover?

I find sometimes it can be a little difficult to be smooth at low speed because all you have is the brake pedal. In a manual it would be fine as I'd be feathering the clutch pedal to ease forward, is that what you mean?
  4. Vibe

Vibe New Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    Hi there thanks for the reply :)

Its a 57 plate 4.2 v8 manual and description of the revs I would say if I'm stuck in traffic or reversing slowly or up a hill (not tick over) it bounces from 1100rpm to 1200rpm which doesn't look like much on rev counter but it's the noise thats abit more obvious, I have a video although its pretty bad it sort of shows what im experiencing if you would like me to upload it?

Looking at your post it seems like its normal, I just got a little worried when 4 audi technicians never heard of it before and didn't know what I was trying to explain :/

Thanks again!
  5. Shrek5

Shrek5 Well-Known Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    I don't know for sure on the V8 (sure someone else will be able to say for sure) but it is probably an anti stall mechanism whereby as you lift the clutch the rev's rise slightly to prevent you from stalling. Certainly on the wife's 2.0TDi this happens. Not sure why it's needed, we all seemed to manage reasonably well before it was introduced...

Try this, when stationary, put the gearbox into neutral then raise the clutch pedal (obviously no need to touch the brake/accelerator pedals), if the you get the same blip then I suspect that's the 'feature'. :)
  6. Vibe

Vibe New Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    I'll give it ago :) thank you for the help! much appreciated and now peace of mind :)
  7. Statler

Statler Old enough to know better

[Aug 22, 2014]
    The s-tronic in the RSQ3 seems to rev when changing D > R and the car will surge a bit. Again probably an anti-stall thing. Once you have realised what it does, it's easy enough to cope with.. (listen to me would you... expert after two days in it lol!)
    Shrek5 likes this.
  8. Vibe

Vibe New Member

[Aug 23, 2014]
    I was hoping it would be easy to cope with but its a pain in the :banghead: in very slow traffic i want to creep forward but soon as i try the car goes above 1000rpm which surges me forward way too fast... so im stop start stop start, as a result me and the missus are being jolted back and forth in the car all the time too... also with the heavy(ish) clutch i've found this car is not traffic friendly at all which surprised me for a 'motorway cruiser' as i was previously told before i brought the car :frown:
  9. Shrek5

Shrek5 Well-Known Member

[Aug 23, 2014]
    1000rpm seems a little on the high side for tick over, that said, I don't have experience of the V8. Perhaps someone who does could confirm whether 1k rpm is about right.
  10. Vibe

Vibe New Member

[Aug 24, 2014]
    It's not tick over, i tick over around 500rpm i think, the 1000rpm is when i go to pull away and the car automatically goes up to 1000rpm due to this 'Anti Stall' which is bad its traffic is only rolling along at 2-3mph..
  11. Sc08 LAB

Sc08 LAB Member

[Aug 24, 2014]
    Mines the same but blips to 900 I think, I'll double check later.
  12. Vibe

Vibe New Member

[Aug 24, 2014]
    Do you find the same problem as me when it comes to traffic? :/
  13. Sc08 LAB

Sc08 LAB Member

[Aug 24, 2014]
    No it's just fine and if you think about it, when all the simpletons in there bm's and mercs pull off when you press the accelerator yourself you usually rev to about 1200 anyway.