1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this maf ok to use?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Jonesy, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

[Sep 29, 2006]
    Hi, i bought a brand new maf from ebay, not a company but someone who bought it for there golf and it was too big, it is for the s3 and has the same code as my original but if you look at the pictures one side has a grill and the other side doesnt, you can touch the sensor im sure this is wrong as mine has a gril both sides.

Here are the pics http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=344

i havent fitted it yet just in case.

Thanks

Allan
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. funkymofo

funkymofo Member

[Sep 29, 2006]
    thats exactly the same as mine looked like and it worked fine.......that was on a golf though.

The lack of grill shouldnt matter as the actual sensor is facing the side with the grill, so any harmful objects should be trapped (not that they should get through the filter anyway)
  4. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

[Sep 29, 2006]
    sweet, ill go fit it and see what happens.

Thanks dude
  5. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Member

[Sep 29, 2006]
    I believe the screens are there to reduce turbulant air-flow throught the MAF tube. However, they do present a restriction.
    They can be removed to increase flow and reduce the pressure drop in the MAF-turbo hose, which could also help to prevent the collapse of the stock hose on higher power cars.

I would recommend checking the MAF with Vag-Com, if possible. I have heard even new MAFs can be duff straight out of the box.

HTH