Is this bad for the car??

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Ok on my way down from up north today my turbo to IC pipe (drivers side IC) came loose at the IC connection, Now I had no means of opening the front bumper of so I just carried on driving. The car of course lost acceleration but it seemed to drive fine (with no aggressive accelerating and downshifting) so I carried on driving for the remaining 100miles. Now what I wanna ask is did this do any damage to the car/turbo?

depends on whether you stayed off boost. it's hard to tell. if you're not hearing any increased turbo whine i'd say no, there's prolly loads of cars running round in similar states, is it all sorted now?

shineydave said:
depends on whether you stayed off boost. it's hard to tell. if you're not hearing any increased turbo whine i'd say no, there's prolly loads of cars running round in similar states, is it all sorted now?

well it'll be 100% sorted tomorrow morning when I get around to taking the bumper off, but in the state its in in seems to have no "major" problems apart from that loose pipe. I was wondering if any long term problems might have happened?

Well basically you have done 100 miles sucking in unfiltered air straight into the turbo/engine. So any junk you have picked up will now have been digested by the engine. Having said that, as above, many car will be running around in this situation without anyone even knowing. If you have been on boost and damaged the turbo or anything then the damage is done now so just put it all back together and see what happens. Fingers crossed it will be fine.

As above.
Not ideal....but I had to do the same.
I blew an IC hose off in the middle of the Highlands trying to keep David R's S4 off my rear bumper...much to the amusement of his passenger holding a camcorder!
I had to unplug the MAF to nurse it home...probably 70 miles.
Not ideal...but fitted stronger clamps and all was well...

I blew the hose off from the SMIC to my FMIC, so there was no boost available, even if I wanted it...
It was a slow drive home.

thanks for the feedback guys. I got around to fixing the loose hose and just came back from a drive on the motorway, all seems to be fine, the car spools like it used to and no new funny noises, so far so good. I just need to order some JCS HI-grip hose clips to hold it all in place properly. :beerchug: