Is this a sign of a fading Turbo?

zollybosher

Reaction score
@ 2 months ago had a brand new turbo fitted,(had the 170 and the Oil pressure issue). Anyway this last week or so when I accelerate in first gear and take my foot off the accelerator I can hear a faint grinding sound coming from the engine. At the moment it is not on every acceleration,but it is getting quite annoying.

Now having previously owned a B6 model which developed a fault (was over 120K) with the bearings wearing down and creating pretty much the same kind of noise, whether this is the same potential fault again even though I have done less than 3K with the new turbo?

Or does anyone have any other ideas as to what the cause is? Like I said it sounds like a grating sound when my foot comes off the accelerator and only lasts a few seconds and is only at the moment when I am in first gear.

TBH mate, how you know it was a new turbo, also did they prime the turbo with oil before running it up as such as that can have detrimental effects on the internals.

TBH mate, how you know it was a new turbo, also did they prime the turbo with oil before running it up as such as that can have detrimental effects on the internals.

Thanks for the reply, to answer.

Well they sure as heck billed me for a new turbo and as for priming I think that the VAG garage I took it (which by the way advertises on this forum) would know that it needs to be primed.. if I hit the accelerator and put the revs up to 4k and then rlse with no clutch engaged you can hear "what I am presuming" is the turbo spinnig down except their is this grating sound that accompanies it. As I said it doesnt happen when I am in any other gear except first.

As you can imagine I am somewhat concerned, and have booked it into this garage for them to take a look at, but would like advice from others as to what this may or maynot be in case they find no obvious fault?

if it only happens in 1st id rule out the turbo
as it would do it in every gear
if you think its the turbo take it back and get them to check it
was it recon or new from audi
or an aftermarket turbo ?

Who was the garage you used, nobodys blaming them (atm) so cant see the harm.

Ask them who supplied the turbo, was it a turbo technics turbo btw?

i am suffering the exact same problem, in fact listening to you describe your problem, jus made me thnk you were talking about my car, mine is a 2005 tdi a3 140, running a recon turbo supplied by turbo jetz or somethin, its been on for a week and that grinding sound is very apparent when changing up from 1 to 2 and in my case from 2 to 3 and as for changing up to higher gears i get a normal hissing sound which i usually associate with a normal working turbo, please give me some advise how to fix this prob if you ever get to the bottom of it, before i do, im taking mine back to the garage that fitted it soon.

I've had this a while and the only things I could find on the Internet were pointing to the waste gate.

If its only happening in first, I'd begin to think it was the gearbox. Turbos on diesels are spinning all the time, so if it was a bearing gone, you'd hear it constantly.

how i wished it wasnt a gearbox prob, thats my wallet bleeding again, i have had the car for a year and its been one thing after another
86000 miles on the clock, cambelt, driveshaft, fron suspension wing, recon turbo and still giving me probs, the next time you see me in a Japanese car next i hope you will understand.