Is there any point?

Zak0123

Reaction score
Hi all! Have a Pioneer AppRadio head unit and a sub in the boot, for some reason Audi only decided to put speakers in the front of my car and not the back (to do with my model of original head unit). Looking for potentially some more mid tones and clear volume from the front, question is... is it worth upgrading the front speakers? Thanks in advance peeps!

IMHO if you're going to invest, then invest in a good all round system, not just fronts.

sorry have to disagree

how many times do you sit in the back of the car and listen to the stereo ?
a good audio system only needs front speakers that are working correctly ,positioned correctly and powered correctly
adding rear speakers will not improve the sound of the fronts

Where I do agree with you, allot of people like to have a full system fitted.

I'm saying if you're going to invest money, do it properly with a complete system, not just replace front speakers, so decent speakers, amps etc.

Doubtful, but should he have kid/s now or futurewise, they would need rear speakers for sure, so it all comes down to age, future, how long keeping the car etc, all variables, hence why my universal reply that would cater for all scenario's.

i have kids and still aint got rear speakers in my car even though there fitted
i do however have 2 sets of headphones so as they can enjoy whatever they want without inflicting one direction or justin beiber upon my poor ears

Thanks for the reply guys! Not too bothered about peeps sitting in the back. Would it be enough to upgrade the front speakers (not sure on the quality of the Audi standard fronts) or get some new ones and amp them? Obv the latter would be better but quality vs cost wise.

if you choose carefully its o.k to simply upgrade the existing audi speakers to some aftermarket alternatives
you ideally want something that doesnt present too difficult to drive ie impedance load wise
and ideally something quite sensitive so as the small amount of power from the onboard amp should be able to make enough noise

i wont lie you will notice a big differnace if you put another amplifier in there but that is upto yourself

if you choose carefully its o.k to simply upgrade the existing audi speakers to some aftermarket alternatives
you ideally want something that doesnt present too difficult to drive ie impedance load wise
and ideally something quite sensitive so as the small amount of power from the onboard amp should be able to make enough noise

i wont lie you will notice a big differnace if you put another amplifier in there but that is upto yourself

Thanks dualmono21! Would you recommend any brands and models in particular?

the first thing i would check is the impedance of the standard speaker units
some audi units use 2 ohm speakers to try and draw more power from the amplifier (its o.k replacement units are available but the choice of 2 ohm speakers is a little more limited )

image dynamics , infinity and cdt audio are 3 makes of 2 ohm component speaker i would reccomend

4 ohm speaker components

rainbow , hertz , focal access (for around 90 pounds these are very very hard to beat)

as regards amplifiers in all honesty if your looking for sound quality you want to be looking at older designs which are class a/b
not the newer class g or full range d ( my advice is to look secondhand on ebay for some real bargains)

genesis amplifiers such as the p2 and p4 will give you everything you need and nothing you dont
worthy mentions go to old school
phoenix gold , rockford fosgate , kicker , mtx

all these will give you a noticeable differnace in sound quality , but please remember to use nice solid baffles for the speakers and plenty of sound deadening in the doors

Reactions: TwedA4