1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a readily available tool for removing/fitting the rear front wishbone bush?

Bad Sir Culation Jan 23, 2014

  1. Bad Sir Culation

    Bad Sir Culation Member

    287
    17
    16
    I have one somewhere that was for the RTABs on an E46 BMW that I could try but think it will be too big. Just thought I'd see if there's anything for this job that anyone knows of, or if I am going to have to resort to using a garage.
     
  2. JimS3

    JimS3 Active Member

    736
    72
    28
    Hydraulic press and a couple of drifts normally. You could take the arm off and go and ask a local garage nicely.

    Failing that it's possible with a large vice and some big sockets, or old wheel bearing shells.
     
  3. Bad Sir Culation

    Bad Sir Culation Member

    287
    17
    16
    Well I don't have a vice, but I do have a large surface I can G-clamp stuff to and I could then modify my existing bush tool with a socket I reckon?

    I just didn't want to risk damage to the bushes. I gather best way would be a socket that's the same size as the bush and can therefore push on the metal part around the outside?

    What size are the rear bushes on the front wishbone?
     
  4. JimS3

    JimS3 Active Member

    736
    72
    28
    Yes that's it, socket same as outside. Best off buying the bushes then trying to find something the right diameter.
     
  5. epox

    epox Active Member

    768
    74
    28
    could be wrong here!!
    but if its om bushes you are fitting they fit in a certain direction, iirc they have slots or holes in them.

    mark
     
  6. Bad Sir Culation

    Bad Sir Culation Member

    287
    17
    16
    No, using the Lemforder TT type solid rubber bushes.
     
  7. Simplicity

    Simplicity Member

    98
    3
    8
    I have recently done these on my S3 and my Dad's TT. We placed the bushes in the freezer over night then used a large bench vice to push then in, then a drift to tap them in the final little bit. We used some ply wood off cuts to protect the bushes from the jaws of the vice. (a bit of scafold pole helps too)
     

Share This Page