1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a guide to change steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by oneniner, Jun 21, 2011.

1. oneniner

oneniner Member

Can someone advise me how to change the steering wheel on a B7 chassis. Both steering wheels are exactly the same, but the one I am fitting has the S Line logo. So both are multifunction. Will I still need Vag Com?

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User

No, vag-com is not require, but good practice to clear & check for fault codes. It's a simple task undo the allen key bolts ( 6 or 8mm cannot remember) once removed unclip the air bag. There is one big splined bolt to remove ( this should be replace as thread lock is used) fit new steering wheel and secure bolt refit air bag.

I always disconnect the battery before removing the air bag, as the way I see it you don't the thing going off in your face if something goes wrong (most people don't bother, it's up to you on that one)

4. oneniner

oneniner Member

So if I just unplug the connectors and plug it into new steering wheel.. Everything will work as it should? Volume, track selection etc..

5. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep.
    Regional Rep VCDS Map User

if there both the same yes they will work

6. oneniner

oneniner Member

Thanks all.

7. oneniner

oneniner Member

I cant seem to locate the Allen key bolts. Are they underneath the front cover? If so do I just gently pride it off?

8. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User

either side behind the steering wheel you see a half moon clips you need to remove them to see the allen key bolts.

9. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

There on the rear of the steering wheel.