1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there a choke on a4 1.8Ts? tickover normal when cold

jamesey Nov 17, 2013

1. jamesey

jamesey Member

hi do these a4 1.8ts avj have a automatic choke anywhere now its cold i can start the car ok but the revs are still around 800 rpms , surely that should be higher? does anyone know?

2. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro! VCDS Map User

Could be related to your high emissions possibly? Poor plugs? too rich? etc

3. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro! VCDS Map User

Do you have issues starting the car when it's warmer outside?

4. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

if the CTS is faulty, it's possible it's not reading the temp as low as it actually is, thus not apply the cold stat strategy

5. jamesey

jamesey Member

ive just fitted a genuine tmp sensor the one at the back of the head and its still the same , not got the error code now that told me it needed a sensor.
    it starts the same when warm , starts ok hot or cold , i do have a flat spot whilst accelerating but maybe something else.lol

6. PetrolDave

PetrolDave Well-Known Member

Fuel injected cars don't have a choke, they use temperature sensors (intake temperature and coolant temperature) to determine when they need to inject extra fuel for a cold start.

Try doing a FULL VCDS scan and see what fault codes it shows.

7. Mike_B

Mike_B Active Member

Where's your flat spot?

8. jamesey

jamesey Member

hi , my flat spot is only every now and then and its usually when its semi warm when im acelerating hard

got a code tonight on my obd scanner it said 16502 coolant sensor low?