is the s3 an exciting drive or not ?

mikky99

Reaction score
from looking on quite a few posts it seems a lot of you guys are saying that you feel the s3 is maybe not as quick as you first hoped?
dont get me wrong we all like as much power as possible but it just seems that a lot of you are slightly disapointed until the s3 hits stage 3 tuning levels.
how do they feel to drive ? obviously the performance figures look good on paper for a standard 225 bhp engine.
are they just so comfy and stable with the 4wd that they do not thrill that much?
im only asking as i have never driven one or even been in one.
i was torn between the s3 and tt but not so keen on the shape of the tt.
thanks.

Best thing to do is go test drive some and see what you think it depends on what you're use to driving they are fun to drive but the 4wd drive makes them heavy tho and they can be a money pit but I still wouldn't trade mine for a type r tho ha. there won't be much difference between the s3 tt as a lot of parts are the same.

Reactions: mikky99
You need to invest a good amount of money in an S3's suspension and AWD system to make it handle like a proper sports hatch, but I feel like when it gets there it is well worth the money spent. It's set up soft from the factory. It is prone to understeer. You cannot adjust camber on stock suspension components. All things that won't bother you if you're not a racer, though.

Do I prefer it to other offerings from the same period? Yes. By far. Much more understated (compared to a Type R or Celica GTS), high quality interior, very robust driveline, very big aftermarket. It's a canvas that you can do whatever you want with if you throw enough money at it. I know that applies to most things, but the S3 isn't limited by FWD, so yeah.

Drive one, like TJ said. But I agree with preferring one over a TT. I can comfortably seat 4 normal sized adults in my S3. Can't say the same for a TT... And the driving position isn't as low, with a MUCH better greenhouse and visibility.

Reactions: snowy and mikky99
i have had a few wrx subarus with the 4wd and acceleration was brutal on them.
and i much prefer the turbos to the vtec as i dont want to have to wait till about 6000rpm for anything to come alive lol.
cheers.

Reactions: scotty_24
i do not mind spending money on the s3 over time as it will be my hobby.
and like you said the the cabin in the s3 compared to anything else similar in performance is amazing
nice mod cons and decent performance.
edited this as im half asleep and the last post made no sense lol.
thanks for the advice guys.

Looks nice if your looking to remap then it doesn't matter about a bam or not as the 210 version remap to the same as a 225 version would .make sure you test the 4wd cause a lot seem to fail as not been serviced regularly if you can get them scanned with vag com for any fault codes,when I got mine I didn't know It didn't have 4wd working and like a lot of things it does not bring up warning light on dash

If you want something that's quick and handles straight out of the box, you would probably be better off with a Focus ST, but with a few tweeks to the suspension and a remap on the S3, there's not much else out there that can compete for the money.

If you want something that's quick and handles straight out of the box, you would probably be better off with a Focus ST, but with a few tweeks to the suspension and a remap on the S3, there's not much else out there that can compete for the money.
What focus st have you driven?!

Reactions: snowy
They're boring but spend about 15 grand on one and they're alright

if you had a £15K budget though better places to start than a S3, imho

In term of pure performance

Factor in comfortable compact roadcar, scales maybe tip back

Evo's & Scoobies fail on comfort

I can comfortably seat 4 normal sized adults in my S3. Can't say the same for a TT... And the driving position isn't as low, with a MUCH better greenhouse and visibility.

I think of A3/S3's being quite small compared to Octavia's

Last edited:
There's some valid points above... IMO the main ones being it's a very heavy car and costs the earth to sort out handling and get to a decent power level to counteract the weight disadvantage.

I originally bought an A3 in 2006 (mainly because I couldn't afford insurance on an S3 at the time). With a few mods to bring it up to stage 2 spec (circa 240bhp) and a decent set of coilovers it was a lively nimble car and well on it's way to being a good, well involved, drivers car.

When I got back from travelling I had a bit of money so treated myself to a completely standard S3, and was HUGELY underwhelmed by it. I threw some cash at it on some suspension and engine mods, and still found the car rather dull to drive... That was sold, things happened, but to cut a long story short - for similar money I now have an A3 at k300 spec which is a million times better to drive (when it's working), and will always have a 2-300kg weight advantage over an S3.

If you're really looking for a car that's fun to drive and mod-able without costing the earth, you won't get much more bang for buck than an A3... And I really think the money you'll have to throw at an S3 before it starts becoming worth while, just isn't worth it

Only problem with that is its just an A3 I'm afraid.

The question was whether the S3 is exciting to drive, not how cool will I look in it over an A3...

If you're looking for driving enjoyment and can allow yourself to put ego aside, you will get far more bang for buck out of an A3...

Last edited:
its just an A3 I'm afraid.

:iagree: Literally my favourite thing to say.

I love saying this when people tell me my s3 is crazy quick on trackdays

"Sorry mate, it's just an a3 8' afraid"

:smiley:

:racer:

Reactions: AdzA3AGU, Alex C, scotty_24 and 1 other person
I would have thought the scrabbling for grip front tyres and the terrible tourqe steer would give it away, haha!

The question was whether the S3 is exciting to drive, not how cool will I look in it over an A3...

If you're looking for driving enjoyment and can allow yourself to put ego aside, you will get far more bang for buck out of an A3...
Doesn't matter how much power you try to put through the front wheels, or how much money you throw at it, at the end of the day, it's still just an A3.

I would have thought the scrabbling for grip front tyres and the terrible tourqe steer would give it away, haha!

When set up properly it's really not THAT bad... And hey, at least it ads to the "excitement", which is what the OP is looking for!

Doesn't matter how much power you try to put through the front wheels, or how much money you throw at it, at the end of the day, it's still just an A3.

And again, this is your ego talking...

Although I'd love to see what would happen to that ego when you get done by "just an A3" that cost a fraction of the cost to buy/build than your obviously vastly superior S3 :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
When set up properly it's really not THAT bad... And hey, at least it ads to the "excitement", which is what the OP is looking for!

And again, this is your ego talking...

Although I'd love to see what would happen to that ego when you get done by "just an A3" that cost a fraction of the cost to buy/build than your obviously vastly superior S3 :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Fraction of the cost to build? I don't see how. Suspension mods aren't vastly different in price, if at all. Same engine, BIGGER turbo out of the box, MORE traction through corners and acceleration... Add to that the suspension that is lower and stiffer on the S3 in stock form... Add to that the better seats, the exterior improvements, and a host of other things I can't think of right now, and I really don't see what you mean. Only place I see you really paying a sizable amount in repair over an A3 is the Haldex system. But if it's maintained well it'll last the life of the car I think. Mine certainly hasn't given me trouble and it has had a haldex plug in it for the last 20,000km. Still no clicking, no ********, no side effects.

Besides, pump 350hp through a FWD A3 and the cost of tires needed alone surpasses the haldex cost altogether. I've seen 300+hp FWD cars. They EAT tires, and they require GOOD tires. I think that would offset plenty of the costs that come with driving an S3.

Reactions: Stuart B, ayfreetee and snowy
But then there is that one day, when you look out of the window and see an A3 sat there instead of what could have been an S3, you see it's not just how it drives, it's also the feeling of contentment you get when you know it's the best model in the range you can get.

I'd love to see what would happen to that ego when you get done by "just an A3" that cost a fraction of the cost to build than your obviously vastly superior S3
Fraction of the cost to build? I don't see how. Suspension mods aren't vastly different in price, if at all. Same engine, BIGGER turbo out of the box, MORE traction through corners and acceleration... Add to that the suspension that is lower and stiffer on the S3 in stock form... Add to that the better seats, the exterior improvements, and a host of other things I can't think of right now, and I really don't see what you mean. Only place I see you really paying a sizable amount in repair over an A3 is the Haldex system. But if it's maintained well it'll last the life of the car I think. Mine certainly hasn't given me trouble and it has had a haldex plug in it for the last 20,000km. Still no clicking, no ********, no side effects.

Besides, pump 350hp through a FWD A3 and the cost of tires needed alone surpasses the haldex cost altogether. I've seen 300+hp FWD cars. They EAT tires, and they require GOOD tires. I think that would offset plenty of the costs that come with driving an S3.

The way I see it - 3 grand will buy you an A3, with money left over for suspension mods and a k280/k300 hybrid turbo (and it will be a seriously fun car then!)

or

3 grand will buy you an S3... Then you could spend another 1-2 grand (or more) getting the indeed bigger turbo to k300 power levels and sorting the handling out. And at the end of the day, the 3 grand A3 will (conditions allowing!) still be quicker in a straight line, lighter, nimbler and more "exciting to drive", even though you've ploughed a lot more into the S3.

Yes, the A3 will chew tires. Yes, the S3 will have better seats (until you rip them out for buckets) and be a nicer car to walk up to... But in my case, where it's just a weekend car purely aimed at the highest thrill to £££ ratio, none of this matters.

And S3 having more traction through corners?... I'm yet to see evidence of this, changing the direction of an additional few 100kg's won't come without it's down-falls!

But then there is that one day, when you look out of the window and see an A3 sat there instead of what could have been an S3, you see it's not just how it drives, it's also the feeling of contentment you get when you know it's the best model in the range you can get.

Dude, I think you have an ego issue :tearsofjoy: I do see you point though, the S3 IS a nicer more "special" car, fact... But when you're behind the wheel, smashing it down a B-road or round a track, if your mind is on the styling tweaks and shiny badge on the back, you're doing it wrong!

another thread turned into an A3 versus S3 pointless. :shakingheademoji:

A3's are 800 quid S3's are 3K

get a 400HP S4 bi turbo instead - the S3 reminds me of a 600cc Bandit instead of a 1200 B12 or GSX1100 or like getting lower powered computer and overclocking it until it start's breaking.

they cost a fortune to keep on the road (especially after they have been modified) I have new rear suspension (springs and dampers) and new drive shafts on my floor after fixing the last bit 3 weeks ago, the extra power has now ruined the already borderline drive shafts. so it is back on axel stands this weekend I am afraid.

don't get me wrong - it is excellent fun, but expensive (I reckon £1300 spent this last year) and there is another £1000+ in clutch and other parts required.

I don't believe the 4 adults, my tie bars would snap hitting a bump with 30 stone in those back seats.

Nothing to do with ego, just wanting the best you can afford and an A3 just ain't it imo, don't get me wrong, I did like my T Sport, but I hankered after the S3, now I have one, I wouldn't go back unless I really had to, even then I think I preferred my GTI, just a tiny bit.

My S3 is more exciting to drive than my Passat I previously had, but despite being faster, it's not as exciting to drive as my 1989 mk2 Golf GTI!

It's still a great all rounder though. But buying used is a bit of a mine field. They are all getting on a big now.

Reactions: VAG-Slag
"not as exciting to drive as my 1989 mk2 Golf GTI! "

You were younger then - I think they were about 130HP like the Cavalier GLi

I'd love to see what would happen to that ego when you get done by "just an A3" that cost a fraction of the cost to build than your obviously vastly superior S3

And S3 having more traction through corners?... I'm yet to see evidence of this, changing the direction of an additional few 100kg's won't come without it's down-falls!

I meant under power. For shiggles, I sometimes disconnect my Haldex as I'm going home. Car rotates better without it, sure, but with the power I have, there's no way I can apply anything more than 30% throttle through some of the corners.

Anyway, I do see your point. There is a higher cost of ownership, sure. That's what you get when you buy the "better" car. If people want to think a 535i is better value for money than an M5, that's their prerogative.

For shiggles, I sometimes disconnect my Haldex as I'm going home. Car rotates better without it, sure, but with the power I have, there's no way I can apply anything more than 30% throttle through some of the corners.
Might have something to do with the 200 kilo's of dead weight you've created at the back :p

... I sometimes disconnect my Haldex as I'm going home. Car rotates better without it...

Sounds like you've got some kind of rear end geo issue(s) going there

"not as exciting to drive as my 1989 mk2 Golf GTI! "

You were younger then - I think they were about 130HP like the Cavalier GLi
Not really, my MK2 Golf is parked outside my house. 139bhp standard, but I've had mine on Badger 5's rollers showing 145bhp. :)

Reactions: Lavis89

Nope. most people who watch mine on track assume it's 4wd. there are no traction issues. No torque steer, none of the 'typical' traits people associate with powerful FWD. it's all down to chassis setup.

Again, tyre wear is entirely down to power delivery and chassis setup. mine doesn't eat tyres at all, nor wear them unevenly.

I run -3 degrees of camber, yet my tyre wear evenly across the whole surface. I also have ~340lbft of torque, yet don't suffer from any torque steer. Front tyres last perfectly well compared to rears. It's ALL down to setup, of both suspension and power delivery.

Sure, there are ko4 cars out there with a lot less power and torque than mine, that drive like an absolute handful and destroy tyres in no time at all, and sadly these cars are more common than those that are done properly, so such myths as we see above develop.

Reactions: snowy
...rotates better with Haldex disabled?! :huh:

Nope. most people who watch mine on track assume it's 4wd. there are no traction issues. No torque steer, none of the 'typical' traits people associate with powerful FWD. it's all down to chassis setup.

Again, tyre wear is entirely down to power delivery and chassis setup. mine doesn't eat tyres at all, nor wear them unevenly.

I run -3 degrees of camber, yet my tyre wear evenly across the whole surface. I also have ~340lbft of torque, yet don't suffer from any torque steer. Front tyres last perfectly well compared to rears. It's ALL down to setup, of both suspension and power delivery.

Sure, there are ko4 cars out there with a lot less power and torque than mine, that drive like an absolute handful and destroy tyres in no time at all, and sadly these cars are more common than those that are done properly, so such myths as we see above develop.

Yes, rotates better. Not drift, rotates. Car feels easier to steer into a corner when my rear diff is disconnected. This may be exacerbated in my case from the haldex plug, which forces haldex to keep working when I'm braking or off throttle, unlike the stock setup.

Prawn, that makes me happy. I'm running -2.5 front and -1 rear right now, and so far tire wear is very consistent across all my tires. I do rotate them once a month, though. What tires are you using, and how often do you need to change them? Also, I'm assuming you have an LSD? How do you feel it affected the handling of the car, and do you think a front LSD would be beneficial to me?

With 600+ bhp yeah they're great fun! Smiles galore

Reactions: tomjol, jojo and shaunevo6
I'm assuming you have an LSD? How do you feel it affected the handling of the car, and do you think a front LSD would be beneficial to me?

USRT said:
Open Differential: The factory supplies this cost-effective solution which works fine so long as heavy throttle is not applied. The problem is that when one of the wheels slips, the drivetrain is not able to provide power to the other wheel. Basically, if one of the wheels starts to spin any additional power travels through the path of least resistance. That is always the spinning wheel. So, applying power produces no increase in acceleration. Open diffs are not useful in any motorsports.
USRT