1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is the RNS-E worth getting?

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by ultramodz, Jan 11, 2008.

1. ultramodz

ultramodz 06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

how does it compare to other sat nav systems? i like the idea of having it all oem & not stuck on the top of the dash but i've not seen or used the audi nav software. is it actually any good? can you input post codes etc?

also, in terms of retrofitting it, the only thing that concerns me is whether or not you have to run cables to the roof for the gps aerial? i've read somewhere that you can tuck it in behind the dash?

also i have dis, but don't have vag-com to integrate the sat nav - would a dealership do this perhaps?

cheers :)
  2. angryant

angryant Member

3. PetrolDave

PetrolDave Active Member

You can only enter partial post codes e.g. TW1 5.

Most people put the GPS antena under the dash rather than route cables to the back of the car.

Most dealers won't do the re-coding, but there's a lot of people who can do it for you.

I've retrofitted the RNS-E into my last 2 Audis, done a couple of others for owners and sorted out coding problems for several others (including solving problems that dealers couldn't).

As already said look on http://www.navplus.us where you'll find loads of information.
  4. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

I used to use a TomTom in my previous car, and the RNS-E is as capable. The only downside is that you can't add your own POI's(such as safety camera's) like TT. I've got the integrated bluetooth, and as a whole package it's fantastic. It's not cheap tho.
  5. MgHart

MgHart Member

Had my RNS-e retro fitted by Craigb (Manchester) Superb job.
    Really like the count down and markers in the dash pod.
    Better sound than concert, 2 X sd card for mp3's, can also interface with the CD changer.
    Toured highlands of Scotland last summer with the caravan....flawless, even works in the wilds of Co Tyrone.
    The only problem is that you have to sit in the car to programme it

Only my observations Hope this helps

Mike
    Oh agree with above really good idea to get Blue-tooth phone pkg installed...saves the old license.
  6. PetrolDave

PetrolDave Active Member

Third that - it's the most integrated bluetooth hands-free I've ever used - a real licence saver!
  7. ultramodz

ultramodz 06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

ok cheers guys - i'll have a read of NAVplus :)
  8. Niknak

Niknak Member

I agree with all the above, I have had it in 2 of my Audi's now and wouldn't leave home without it!
  9. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

Hi there

Well I retro fitted the RNS-e - absolute doddle if you have the double DIN Symphony - a bit more complicated if you only have the single DIN...apparently involves modifying the auto air con surround..... The RNS-e sounds much better with the Bose system in my B6 Avant....weirdly enough though I did not have to programme anything via VAGCOM.....and it works brilliantly....Audi gave me a free 2007 DVD upgrade....

I like the fact I can keep about 20 CD's of music on EACH 2GB SD Card....I also fitted a 6 disk CD changer in teh glovebox which hooked up to the RNS-e with no VAGCOM as well.

I got my RNS-e off a bloke on E-Bay - he regularly sells them and it worked 1st time. Make sure you get the code with it ! You only get 2 chances to put the correct code in.

I will retrofit the Bluetooth when I can find a recent one on E-bay - may have to get one from German E-bay as they are hardly ever on the UK E-bay. Not prepared to pay £400 for the Bluetooth over here, although the Bluetooth has to be programmed in to teh RNS-e via VAGCOM apparently ! Have to make sure I get the right version of Bluetooth module tho !
  10. Rajiya_ne_Oudi

Rajiya_ne_Oudi Member

Fantastic forum Thanks for the link now to retro-fit my rns-e into my single din....wish me luck see you guys in a week:weight_lift2: