is the RNS-E worth getting?

ultramodz

06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE
Reaction score
Website
www.mattstevens.co.uk
how does it compare to other sat nav systems? i like the idea of having it all oem & not stuck on the top of the dash but i've not seen or used the audi nav software. is it actually any good? can you input post codes etc?

also, in terms of retrofitting it, the only thing that concerns me is whether or not you have to run cables to the roof for the gps aerial? i've read somewhere that you can tuck it in behind the dash?

also i have dis, but don't have vag-com to integrate the sat nav - would a dealership do this perhaps?

cheers :)

ultramodz said:
how does it compare to other sat nav systems? i like the idea of having it all oem & not stuck on the top of the dash but i've not seen or used the audi nav software. is it actually any good? can you input post codes etc?

also, in terms of retrofitting it, the only thing that concerns me is whether or not you have to run cables to the roof for the gps aerial? i've read somewhere that you can tuck it in behind the dash?

also i have dis, but don't have vag-com to integrate the sat nav - would a dealership do this perhaps?

cheers :)
You can only enter partial post codes e.g. TW1 5.

Most people put the GPS antena under the dash rather than route cables to the back of the car.

Most dealers won't do the re-coding, but there's a lot of people who can do it for you.

I've retrofitted the RNS-E into my last 2 Audis, done a couple of others for owners and sorted out coding problems for several others (including solving problems that dealers couldn't).

As already said look on http://www.navplus.us where you'll find loads of information.

I used to use a TomTom in my previous car, and the RNS-E is as capable. The only downside is that you can't add your own POI's(such as safety camera's) like TT. I've got the integrated bluetooth, and as a whole package it's fantastic. It's not cheap tho.

Had my RNS-e retro fitted by Craigb (Manchester) Superb job.
Really like the count down and markers in the dash pod.
Better sound than concert, 2 X sd card for mp3's, can also interface with the CD changer.
Toured highlands of Scotland last summer with the caravan....flawless, even works in the wilds of Co Tyrone.
The only problem is that you have to sit in the car to programme it

Only my observations Hope this helps

Mike
Oh agree with above really good idea to get Blue-tooth phone pkg installed...saves the old license.

MgHart said:
Oh agree with above really good idea to get Blue-tooth phone pkg installed...saves the old license.
Third that - it's the most integrated bluetooth hands-free I've ever used - a real licence saver!

I agree with all the above, I have had it in 2 of my Audi's now and wouldn't leave home without it!

Hi there

Well I retro fitted the RNS-e - absolute doddle if you have the double DIN Symphony - a bit more complicated if you only have the single DIN...apparently involves modifying the auto air con surround..... The RNS-e sounds much better with the Bose system in my B6 Avant....weirdly enough though I did not have to programme anything via VAGCOM.....and it works brilliantly....Audi gave me a free 2007 DVD upgrade....

I like the fact I can keep about 20 CD's of music on EACH 2GB SD Card....I also fitted a 6 disk CD changer in teh glovebox which hooked up to the RNS-e with no VAGCOM as well.

I got my RNS-e off a bloke on E-Bay - he regularly sells them and it worked 1st time. Make sure you get the code with it ! You only get 2 chances to put the correct code in.

I will retrofit the Bluetooth when I can find a recent one on E-bay - may have to get one from German E-bay as they are hardly ever on the UK E-bay. Not prepared to pay £400 for the Bluetooth over here, although the Bluetooth has to be programmed in to teh RNS-e via VAGCOM apparently ! Have to make sure I get the right version of Bluetooth module tho !