Is the front camber angle adjustable on quattro

Rhencullen1989

190 S LINE QUATTRO
Reaction score
Hi, my front tyres (goodyear F1 GSD3's) 235/40/18 have worn really badly on the very inside edge, i have just had the tracking checked and it's ok.

I have just booked it in for a 4 wheel alignment check/adjustment at my local audi dealer (£87 all in, including adjustment), my question is, can the camber/castor angle be adjusted?

Also i need 2 new front tyres, on a quattro will i have to replace all 4 or can i just replace the front ones?

The car is a 2004 1.8T quattro s-line A4.

As far as that goes, the caster is not adjustable, but the camber is.

As far as your tire change goes, you will need to change all 4. Even though you are buying the same size tires as the originals, the old ones will have a slightly smaller radius than the new ones because they have more wear. The Quattro drivetrain can suffer damage by this, and here is why. On the Quattro drivetrain, and most all AWD's for that matter, a center differential is used. This just allows the front and rear axles to rotate at a different speed like when you're turning left or right.

Here in lies the issue. The different size in the front/rears will cause those front and rear axles to be constantly rotate at different speeds, which will cause premature wear to your center differential.

They aren't cheap, either. I called Strong Audi in SLC, Utah to get you a theoretical price quote on the part and the labour. 2004 A4 Quattro 1.8T S-line. Didn't have your VIN, so I just asked them to give me the worst damage. The part is about $1,060, (£500) and the labor is $560 (£250) for your vehicle. The cheaper differential is 100 (£50) cheaper. My strong recommendation is just to replace all 4. Audi's are expensive, no matter how ya slice it and I'd hate to see ya have trouble with it. :)

Front camber is not adjustable on a B6 model the rear is thou .
also in theory you should change all 4 tyres but in reality it makes no difference as long as you stick to the same make and model if possible but even this is not set in stone just make sure the sizes stay the same obviously,
as you have said the fronts are worn backs are not this will happen again if you change all 4 the fronts still wear quicker so they will always be a slightly different rolling radius but its small and will make no difference
ive been running quattros on and off for 20yrs from UR quattro 20v to S4s and never had any troubles because of this .

Last edited:
Ok, took the car to yeovil audi today, they kindly gave me a lift back to work. Had a call an hour later saying that front tyres are bad on inside edges (like i told them on the phone) and that they could not set it up as driving it home on the same tyres would put it out again????????????

Anyway, have now ordered 4 new Goodyear F1 GSD3's (£600 Gulp) and will get it back to audi when they get fitted. I hope Paul 20V is wrong about the camber not been adjustable as i can't see what else it would be (bent subframe) i just hope they can get it aligned properly.

Ok, took the car to yeovil audi today, they kindly gave me a lift back to work. Had a call an hour later saying that front tyres are bad on inside edges (like i told them on the phone) and that they could not set it up as driving it home on the same tyres would put it out again????????????

Anyway, have now ordered 4 new Goodyear F1 GSD3's (£600 Gulp) and will get it back to audi when they get fitted. I hope Paul 20V is wrong about the camber not been adjustable as i can't see what else it would be (bent subframe) i just hope they can get it aligned properly.
Sounds like your tracking is out on the front toeing out to be accurate ,and as for them saying they couldnt set it with the old tyres on as it would go out again thats ****** ,
its adjusted on the track rod ends by a thread , ask them how this will move after adjustment with the old tyres on ?
theres a lot of dealers need a serious overhaul there taking the **** with there "were the dealer attitude and we know best"
letter to Audi UK i think .