Is the chamois old hat now?

a3_dan

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just want to get a feel for how many people still use the old leather chamois? I still use it, but im thinking of going for one of these micro fibre towels, are they any better? Whats the difference between the two?

Opinions pretty please...

Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan its all about personal preferance really and the the level you want to go to to keep swirls dopwn etc. I use a dodo drying towel which is imo awesome and dry's the car in no time. But i do still use the old ag chamois for around the door jambs.

Hi Dan its all about personal preferance really and the the level you want to go to to keep swirls dopwn etc. I use a dodo drying towel which is imo awesome and dry's the car in no time. But i do still use the old ag chamois for around the door jambs.

Hi Dan,
So with these types of towels, do you need to wash them in between each use?

I might have to get one from PB, they seem really reasonable, so might give it a chance.

Cheers,
Dan

Hi Dan,
So with these types of towels, do you need to wash them in between each use?

I might have to get one from PB, they seem really reasonable, so might give it a chance.

Cheers,
Dan

I'd advise washing after every use to remove any bits of grit that may have been missed by the wash but picked up by the towel.....but they should be washed with non biological washing powder only, as biological does something to the micro bits of the fibres and reduces the amount of water it'll soak up.....also dont use any fabric softners.

Ryan

WAY WAY better than the shammy....but dont expect every towel to perform, i bought three pairs from differant suppliers, and only one out of one pair is any good.Washed after every use with non bio.Along with the lambswool mitt.

Cool, thanks for the info folks, I will get myself one and let you know my thoughts and comparison to the shammy,

Cheers
Dan

Waffle weave style designs are great if you are disciplined enough to pat dry only, but if you know full well you will do the occasional cheeky wipedown then the longer pile luxury style designs are a safer bet. As above though, all wash mitts and towels should be washed after every use. :icon_thumright:

A-ha, interesting thread and comments from Rich so wanted to add a post to ask some further questions if I may...

I have been using lambswool mitts for a while but after washing with wool washing liquid on cool washes the stupid things last about 30 washes and then its bits of fluffy shawn all over the car. Happened this weekend with my current one so its into the bin for that one! :ermm: Just about had enough of this now after three. So is the microfibre weave a better bet (to not disintegrate and clean as well)? I have been using a waffle weave mitt for the S3 alloy wheels but not used one on the bodywork, so would appreciate any advise on that matter.

I have a waffle weave style towel, but have to be homest have not patted dry, do clean along contour lines though. Bit sad here to say but its just a car and spends (a-hem) a lot of time going fast outdoors so its going to get some scratches. However I have been impressed that swirling and spiderwebs are 80% down on my last S3 after nearly three years so this two bucket washing does work. :) Is it best to use the longer pile to dry, if i'm doing a lot of rubbing? I live in a hard water area and so its good to get a nice streak free finish, even with a nice wax based cleaner (meguiars).

Finally have a few tar spots now, whats best for the removal of these, clay or something else?

Cheers for any assistance! :unsure:

tar and glue remover spray, followed by a wipe down and wash. ii still prefer my good ol flunkeys

Finally have a few tar spots now, whats best for the removal of these, clay or something else?

QUOTE]

Tardis is very good for removing tar spots and the like, spray on leave for a short while and job done!

A-ha, interesting thread and comments from Rich so wanted to add a post to ask some further questions if I may...

I have been using lambswool mitts for a while but after washing with wool washing liquid on cool washes the stupid things last about 30 washes and then its bits of fluffy shawn all over the car. Happened this weekend with my current one so its into the bin for that one! :ermm: Just about had enough of this now after three. So is the microfibre weave a better bet (to not disintegrate and clean as well)? I have been using a waffle weave mitt for the S3 alloy wheels but not used one on the bodywork, so would appreciate any advise on that matter.

I have a waffle weave style towel, but have to be homest have not patted dry, do clean along contour lines though. Bit sad here to say but its just a car and spends (a-hem) a lot of time going fast outdoors so its going to get some scratches. However I have been impressed that swirling and spiderwebs are 80% down on my last S3 after nearly three years so this two bucket washing does work. :) Is it best to use the longer pile to dry, if i'm doing a lot of rubbing? I live in a hard water area and so its good to get a nice streak free finish, even with a nice wax based cleaner (meguiars).

Cheers for any assistance! :unsure:

Lambswool mitts are the safest option for the wash stage, but due to their very nature they will not last that long - natural skin and hair based products will progressively rot and disintegrate over time, and 30 washes isn't bad in fairness (our own mitts at the unit are replaced every 2-3 months or so). Using a microfibre mitt with a tougher shorter pile isn't recommended for bodywork as it will offer less protection and more swirling will result over time. I'd love to be able to offer you all a better more durable solution, but right now we haven't found anything else as safe as the lambswool mitts we offer...

When it comes to drying off, if you prefer wipe drying (even following the lines of the car), a luxury deep pile microfibre towel is a safer bet than a waffle weave towel, as any fresh dust falling on the car won't be pushed against the bodywork as much as you move the towel around, particularly if you like to dry fully to avoid water spotting. Check out the towels on this lini next time you need a replacement - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb-luxury-drying-towel.html. Finally, for decontamination, a full overview of our recommended methods and products can be found here - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/decontaminating-paint.html. Autosmart Tardis is the bet bet for tar removal, as suggested above - see here for details; http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/autosmart-tardis.html.

:icon_thumright: