1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is new set of bushings adequate?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by jibbajabba, Jan 30, 2008.

1. jibbajabba

jibbajabba Member

Just wondering could I expect to get some stiffness back in my tired suspension by just replacing the bushings? If not I'll have to go the whole hog.
    Don't want to change the setup of the car.

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. Nickynibbles

Nickynibbles Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

Do you mean the bushes? This wont make any difference to the performance of the dampers as the bushes are purely there to help secure the top & bottom mountings. You better off just replacing the whole damper as you'd have to take the old ones off to change the bushes anyway!

4. jibbajabba

jibbajabba Member

yeah sorry, the bushes.

Won't replacing them tighten up the suspension again, or is it a case of sloppy, crashy
    and loose feeling suspension means springs, dampers etc

5. Nickynibbles

Nickynibbles Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

The reason your suspension will feel like that is because the internals of the dampers are worn, changing the bushes wont sort this problem out. Just get new dampers to fit your existing springs if your not after an upgraded set up, or if your feeling adventurous a full set of coilovers will allow you set set your ride height exactly how you want!

6. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Agreed. I had worn bushes all over the front of my B5 so I replaced all eight arms and their bushes; all the horrible knocking and banging noises had gone, and to be fair it did feel a little tighter, but I wouldn't say it improved the handling any. I noticed a small difference when being a little ambitious with the throttle on tight-corners and wet tarmac - before I had them done it was really easy to light-up the outside wheel and it seemed less prone to it once I'd had the work done, but the bushes were well and truly dead and the arms not so healthy either (there was a gas-axe involved in removing them) - overall though, general handling is no different.

Regards,

Rob.

7. jibbajabba

jibbajabba Member

Thats sounds familiar. My outside front seem to spin very easily, especially around the tight bends and roundabouts, and it feels like the outside wheel is moving all over the place.

I might go and price the 8 arms and bushes to replace them and see how that fixes things up as I presume such a job from an audi dealer would be expensive to say the least. I have sports suspenion on my B6 so it is plenty low for me, just want the knocking and movement resolved.

8. james0808

james0808 Active Member

Got to agree with Nickynibbles,changing the dampers will totally transform the ride for the better.

9. jibbajabba

jibbajabba Member

Any suggestions on replacements? Audi OEM or thrid party? These wont alter ride height or anything will they?

10. james0808

james0808 Active Member

I would go with Bilstein or Koni but there is loads to choose from.
    Wont alter the height unless you change the springs.

11. james0808

james0808 Active Member

If you havent already i would put an RS4 rear anti-roll bar on too,very cheap from vagparts and make a fantastic mod.