Is my S3 just laggy....!?

AWDMk1

Reaction score
I've got a 2001 S3, I bought it with a knackered turbo and replaced it with a CR K04 so I never got to drive the car before the turbo failed, now that I have done a few miles I find it quite laggy in that it is flat as a fart below 2200rpm then it's like a switch has been flicked and you're away but the change is quite aggresive.

Jaaba have live mapped it and it has FMIC, boost controller etc. etc. and print outs for 290bhp, all of this was done before I bought it.

My question is, is this quite normal or should it be, as I think, more progressive? And if it should be more progressive, what are the likely suspects for it not being?

I had it on VAGCom a little while back and I am sure it showed a single N249 fault, though it could have been N74 come to think of it!? I am also thinking could it be the FMIC, if it is too big surely this will cause lag (it runs max boost of anywhere between 1.4 and 1.7 bar usually depending on the boost controller setting)....?

Your thoughts appreciated!!!

Cheers.

Do you have any rolling road printouts, that will show us how your power is being delivered.

I do yes, and it looks agressive as ****....! haha! Can't be good for rods etc. if it has been mapped this way surely though.... I was thinking boost leak maybe but the map does look peaky in all honesty so maybe it is just that

Maybe, this is my r-tech map for comparison

r-tech0001.jpg

It has FMIC, boost controller etc. etc. and print outs for 290bhp

:think: I need to get me to that dyno..... lol.

I had it on VAGCom a little while back and I am sure it showed a single N249 fault, though it could have been N74 come to think of it!? I am also thinking could it be the FMIC, if it is too big surely this will cause lag (it runs max boost of anywhere between 1.4 and 1.7 bar usually depending on the boost controller setting)....?

1.7 BAR? Jesus, no wonder the turbo went OK Bye.

If you're running a boost controller, is the N75 valve still plugged in electronically? If not, this will be the cause of an N75 code. It needs to be plugged in electrically.

Best advice is to find someone with VAG COM and get them to do a logging run. Usual rules apply - blocks 001, 020 and 115/118 would be the ones to go for.

To me however, it sounds like generic turbo lag - 2200 isn't exactly high up the rev band. Just looked at my boost plot from my K04, and at 2200 it was just starting to spool up, so I'd say it's normal. Remember that before spool, it's a crappy 1.8 20v, pulling 1.5 tonnes of S3.

Jabba's rollers.... I do hear they are optimistic in all fariness.... it's probably about 80bhp :)

I think it's maybe just generic lag too, I don't like it though! Yeah it does hit 1.7 bar on occasion though it usually maxes out at about 1.6 ish... the new K04 has uprated bearing set etc. to (hopefully!) stop it happening again.

Totally agree with the 1.8 20v (with hardly any compression) pulling 1.5 tonne thing, it certainly feels like that ah well.... best keep it over 2200 then....

It's going into the garage tomorrow for a small oil leak so I will get them to check it over with VAGCom too and go from there.

Cheers for the info though, appreciate it.

Jabba's rollers.... I do hear they are optimistic in all fariness.... it's probably about 80bhp :)

I think it's maybe just generic lag too, I don't like it though! Yeah it does hit 1.7 bar on occasion though it usually maxes out at about 1.6 ish... the new K04 has uprated bearing set etc. to (hopefully!) stop it happening again.

Totally agree with the 1.8 20v (with hardly any compression) pulling 1.5 tonne thing, it certainly feels like that ah well.... best keep it over 2200 then....

It's going into the garage tomorrow for a small oil leak so I will get them to check it over with VAGCom too and go from there.

Cheers for the info though, appreciate it.

No Wuckin Furries.... :thumbsup:

1.6/1.7bar is a lot of boost on any road going turbo tbh...

We got more power from Welly's by dropping the boost and advancing the timing.... more boost doesn't mean more power...

Is it a Jabba custom map or a hacked stage 2? what injectors are you running?

<tuffty/>

Its running a Jabba custom map which they did on the rollers so not a generic one. As for injectors, they are standard I believe.

The heat thing is very true, the last K04 dies with a cracked exhaust housing which I suspect was due to running too hot due to the excess boost.

I'm not overly impressed with the map (assuming that is what is causing my 'lag' tbh. Hence starting this post