1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my RNS-E a retro fit?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Ben S3 8P3, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Ben S3 8P3

Ben S3 8P3 Member

Is there a simple way to tell if the RNS-E unit was a factory or retro fit? Because the AUX facility doesn't work and I don't have amazing radio reception.

If it is retro-fit how do I get the AUX to work?

Thanks, Sorry for being a complete Audi noob

Ben
  2. BlueSpark

BlueSpark 6th Gear

If you have a RNSE and there is no sharkfin aerial on the roof then it is definitively a retrofit, as most people dont bother to put sharkfin as it involves drilling the roof. Another way is to pull out the unit and see if there is any adaptors converting the old connectors to rnse connector.
  3. A3Kent

A3Kent Different Gear

Have a look in your service manual or in the spare wheel location in the boot where you will find a sticker with lots of PR options codes codes on (3 characters).

Then tap them all in to here- VW Group Option Codes Decoder

Not sure which one RNS-e is though.
  4. Ben S3 8P3

Ben S3 8P3 Member

I do not have the sharkfin on my roof. So thanks for very quickly solving that one for me.

Is there a way to improve reception / sort my AUX issue. Everything else works fine eg, satnav, cd player etc
  5. Jameze

Jameze James

The radio reception seems to suggest it might be - I believe the RNS-E uses a different antenna system to the other head units. Although the old one will work, sometimes it doesn't work great for people (bad reception etc). I've upgraded from a Symphony II+ to an RNS-E without bothering to upgrade the antenna (to save some money) and it's been fine for me. It's hit and miss with some people.

One thing you could do is check your vehicle identification sticker (should be one in your boot and one in the front of your service book) and run the codes through this website...

VW Group Option Codes Decoder

That should tell you what your car came out of the factory with.
  6. A3Kent

A3Kent Different Gear

Sounds like you need a new radio antenna which is located in the boot lid, it's not cheap. What year is your A3?
  7. Jameze

Jameze James

Too quick for me! :p
  8. Ben S3 8P3

Ben S3 8P3 Member

Its a 59 plate.

Oh well, im not too bothered about the radio, its not bad when the volume is low, but then a bit distorted when you turn it up.

I just wanted to get to the bottom it. Is the AUX also expensive to sort?

Thanks very much for everyone help and quick replies !
  9. A3Kent

A3Kent Different Gear

Don't know too much about the AUX but this may help - rnseauxin - Audi Retrofit

And also, as yours is a 59 plate it has the antenna in that's not as good as the older models unfortunately. Mines an 09 plate and chose to have mine changed when I had my RNS-E put in by Nigel.
  10. klik

klik Member

Navigation code = 7Q2
  11. Lewbo

Lewbo Well-Known Member

Auxiliary is only 3 wires and as its a retrofit they will still be in the quad lock connectors, so they need to be removed and you will need to buy a multimedia adapter from audi for like £3 and move them into there. You need to get a photo of a concert/symphony sticker on the top showing the connections and then look on your RNSE and see the positions were they need to go in on the new 32 pin multimedia plug. Connections will read LEFT, RIGHT and GROUND.
  12. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets

my rns is not a retrofit and it does have **** reception
  13. DJ-S3

DJ-S3 Member

I have a shark fin in my S3 56Plate... But no RNSE... Does that mean it should have one?
  14. Lewbo

Lewbo Well-Known Member

This will be for your Bluetooth/phone prep as its used for that as well as sat nav
  15. JS3

JS3 Member

I heard the four vertical lines on the rear window (like the heater elements but up and down) are the radio antenna? Could be wrong though.