Is my DMF on its way out ... ?

Chin.

P88LSH
Reaction score
Grangetown, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom, United
Hi

First of all, i've read a few threads about the issue but i'm still not sure.

Thing is ,my car has 150k on the clock, FASH but there is no mention of the clutch/DMF ever being replaced. From what i've read it seems that they usually go well before 100k mark ...

As for my car , it judders and hesitates in 4th, 5th and 6th. At first i thought it was just me not being used to the 6 speed box but now it's doing my fecking head in !

It seems that when i' driving at 2k RPM in 5th, say about 60MPH put your foot down and it seems like it's about to stall or the engine is about to pop out ! Gear knob shakes like feck as well , in 6th 1500 RPM same thing ! Have to reduce down to 5th , sometime even 4th then there's a little shake and it goes but need to keep it at above 2k RPM ! This surely isn't normal ? Another thing is that the car shakes occasionally at idle as well as at 70-80MPH there is a slight vibe coming from the middle of the car, dunno if it's just me or the wheels aren't balanced properly but it's there.

I spoke to the garage i bought the car from (3 month warranty) they took it in, i picked it up this morning they said it's all good there was an injector fault and it' all good now, obviously when you put the car at alot of pressure it will hesitate but *** it's a 140BHP motor and it struggles to go at 2k RPM in 5th downhill on a motorway ! They told me to bring it back tomorrow, i told them that i think it's the DMF but they said it definitely isn't.

Any suggestions guys ? Sorry if it's been done over and over again but i'm a bit pi$$ed off with the whole situation, i'd love the enjoy the car finally !

Cheers :sadlike:

If it's lumpy on idle, makes a lot of rattling noises not from the engine but closer to the gearbox/flywheel and sometimes even hard to put into gear then it's most certianly your DMF. First signs are noises when turning the car off coming from flywheel and vibration on idle. Does your clutch pedal vibrate? Does the noise go away when you press down on the clutch?

I'm not too sure why your car hesitates under 2,000 but it could well be due to the DMF.

Sorry I can't be much help! I hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the reply mate ! Much appreciated !

The vibration seems to go away when i press the clutch, i'm not sure if it does sound rough when turning off or not just like any other derv i guess. Sometimes it is hard to put it into 1st gear.

It only hesitates under 2k RPM in 5th and 6th, as said i thought it was just me but after reading a few threads on here it seems like it's due to the clutch/DMF. I was pretty sure it was DMF at first but then the garage kept saying it was just misfiring , obviously they said they fixed it now but they obviously know it's the DMF and they must know how expensive to replace it is.

Wish me luck tomorrow, hopefully i'll persuade them that it actually is the DMF.

Thanks again.

Glad to help a little! I'm glad the garage is replacing your DMF!

I'd get them to change the clutch too as it's a gearbox out sorta job so will save you a LOT of money. Mines also a 150+ miller ;-)

Currently on 152,000 on original DMF and Clutch. Remapped to 195 BHP :)

I can't really say i noticed MUCH of a difference, but thats only because the day after i bought it i remapped it so never really noticed the 140 bhp. The day i bought it i drove her really easy to get used to her, and the day after i remapped it so have nothing to compare it too!

If i could go back, i would have driven it on 140bhp for a few months before remapping, but never mind!

This garage, is it an Audi Garage or private? Seem to be very good guys doing all this without ANY fuss? I think you ought to name them as a reputable garage. I'm really glad everything worked out for you.

I want to hit the 200,000 mark with my baby ASAP! Make sure you keep up with preventative maintenance like cleaning out boost pipes, intercooler, EGR valve etc. Makes a difference. Just changed my gearbox oil today with nice fresh oil :)

Well my 110 AFN 1.9TDi Passat was ok but after a few breating/exhaust mods and a custom map it was pushing around 150BHP and it was quite fun to drive. My current Audi feels much faster somehow , however a bit more laggy. I want to do the exhaust and a few other mods before i get my mate to map it for me. Is it possible to blank off the EGR completely ? I did that on my Passat and never had to worry about it again !

As for the garage, the car was the yesterday all day with the same fault. They said they've fixed it and it was just an injector fault or something. I thought if it was an injector fault then the engine management light would have came up but nevermind. I picked the car up and on the way home it was the same as it was before so i was pretty peed off and dropped the car back again today after work. I took the guy who road tested it to show him what i mean and he indeed said it seems like the DMF.

It's a private garage which specializes in German cars (mostly) i bought the car from them and it came with 3 month warranty so they wouldn't dare make much fuss about it tbh.

It's SMC in Stanley, Co Durham.

TBH the mechanics and sales men are all right, just their gaffa seems a k nobhead sadly.

Here's their website : SMC (Sunniside Motor Co)

Thanks for the reply.

In regards to the EGR Valve on these cars, no one has really blanked it completely on the forum as far as i know and so you don't get much of a reply if you ask if its possible, however i do believe there is a blanking kit available and the EGR function can be mapped out by a tuner.

Decat, blank off the EGR and map it. Smiles all round!