Is my clutch slipping?? S3

j444rdy

Reaction score
hey all, was wondering if my clutch is slipping or if it could be something else! Tends to happen starting from 2ng gear on up, hit about 3rpm then revs jump around for little while before power kicks in! any ideas??

Thanks

Hi
My works van has just had a clutch fitted and the problems that i had was when you put your foot down the revs would go up and then drop of. You did not have to move your foot for this to happen found to be fuel (derv)leaking in to the bell houseing from the return line. One way to tell if you clutch is sliping is to put the park break on then try to pull away do this in top gear if it rev up then pos clutch but should stall engine. Ricky

does it also do it in 3rd 4th 5th 6th ??? mine shows up in 6th and 5th atm when I boot it from 3000 rpm on the motorway. If its doing 3500 then it does not slip

yeah, slips in all those gears, any revs over 3000rpm! Weird thing is it was running ok for 2 weeks when i put redex in with a full tank of ultimum, then after re filling with just the ultimum it has started doing this again!

my van did, this was due to build up of derv then would slip like mad then would be ok for a month. Not saying you have a leak but just have a look can you see in the bell housing for any contamination.

am abit of a blank canvas lol, where would i find the bell housing and what sort of leak could it be?

yer sounds like the clutch mate, dont suppose you have got it remapped have you?

Weird thing is it was running ok for 2 weeks when i put redex in with a full tank of ultimum, then after re filling with just the ultimum it has started doing this again!

Thats not weird dude, a clutch wears out like all consumables. Im sure it has been running ok for that past 10years, then it wore out and now needs replacing.

The petrol or "injector cleaner" you put in would make no difference to your clutch slipping.

As a previous post said, put your handbrake on really tight, and bring the clutch up in 1st, giving it some beans, you should be able to hold a constant revs ~3k without the clutch slipping.

am abit of a blank canvas lol, where would i find the bell housing and what sort of leak could it be?

He was talking about oil leaking onto the clutch, which could cause the clutch to slip. Look around where the gearbox meets the block to see any naughty leaks.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, will check when this snow clears up :(