Is my clutch on the way out?

Bolly

Reaction score
Hi guys

I noticed the other day, when pulling away in first the car (2003 A3 1.8T Sport) struggles. Almost as if it is thinking about stalling. It then pulls away fine but then I notice in second and third (not really had a chance for take it up to fourth & fifth given road conditions) that it sometimes goes up in the revs to say 3000/3500/3750 rpm and then drops to 2000 rpm and then back up to 3000/3500 rpm then it is business as usual.

Is that the clutch slipping or something else?

Any hints or pointers would help.

Thanks

Bolly

a slipping clutch will go round to the redline and you wont get any faster unless you back off enough for it to hook up again.

Reactions: myth and hydro s3
try slipping your clutch put handbrake on and slip the revs in 5th gear for about 10 seconds might be a bit of crap on the clutch plate

Turns out it WAS the clutch!!! Stuck on the M40 yesterday proved it!!!! Didn't realise it can go from is it this to totally KAPUT ....

Next question - Dual Mass Flywheel is recommended to be changed at clutch change from my understanding, but is it an absolute, or good practice or each to their own. Labour costs are the same obviously. It is purely the cost of the flywheel (circa £250).

Thanks

Wait a minute! Does the 1.8T have dual mass flywheel?

I have spoken to five garages this morning for quotes (including Audi Dealership) and all five have bought up the subject. None needed prompted.

FYI - Audi book price is approx. £377 for the job, and £900 (ish! I switched off when I heard the price) for the flywheel and clutch.

Wait a minute! Does the 1.8T have dual mass flywheel?

It does yes. I've done a great deal of research into this thanks to my latest endeavour only to find that there's 2 types of clutches for the 1.8t both have dmfs.

As for the op in my opinion do the abf/g60 flywheel and vr6 clutch conversion. Have just done it myself but the abf flywheel is single mass which is a massive headache saved for longevity. Garages will recommend the change for the same reason it's recommended you change the water pump at the same time as the cambelt, it might not have failed but if it does so in the future, you'll have to do the same job again replacing all the associated parts.

Also I would suggest replacing the clutch fork and release bearing at the same time. My clutch problem related to the fork and apparently they're known for fatigue and cracks so it would be a piece of mind change. Cheap to replace (Audi charged me less than 20 quid for the part) and as the gearbox is off it's 30 seconds to pop on and off