is my car really that slow?

Lex

Reaction score
Im abit puzzled and annoyed at the moment.

i was driving though stafford last night when a little chavy 1.2 clio pulled out in front of me, forcing me to slam on my brakes.

then on a dual carriage way he obviously wanted to race and he was already behind me in the other lane with his foot flat down so i waited for him to become level then i booted it in second from doing about 40mph.

the annoying thing is it took afew second to build up speed and i was puling past him,

then the most annoying this was the chav driver and his chavy mate laughing at me and said through the window "HAHAHAHAHAHA its only a 1.2 HAHAHAHAHA"

i could have smacked him

but why is my car so slow that it's not much faster than a 1.2 clio???

he must only have 60bhp and i have 140bhp

im not happy right now haha

I hear what your saying, in exactly the same position.

but nothing 400 odd quid can't fix. :)

not that i can afford that right now :(

God knows. You should of been able to pull away without foot to the floor I'd of thought :p

When my mate had a 1.2 Clio it was what you would expect from a 1.2... slow.

i was sure haha it was a 1.2

i was on a stretch of tarmac at a friends farm and had a drag with him in his mk1 clio rsi 1.8 110bhp weighs nothing and i was level pegging with him the whole way then a 1.2 nearly beats me

i wonder if my cars got slower in the year i've owned it but i havent realized because its been so gradual.

You booted it in second from doing about 40? I'm a tad lost - if you started at 40 in 2nd in the A3 140 diesel v a petrol clio then that gives you your answer on being caught out.

I timed my 140bhp A3 as 26 seconds, 0-100mph.
That's slow, by anyone's standards.

You booted it in second from doing about 40? I'm a tad lost - if you started at 40 in 2nd in the A3 140 diesel v a petrol clio then that gives you your answer on being caught out.

yeah i reckon its down to my turbo lag which is hugh after getting my new turbo. but it still made me feel bad because this chav thought he had done one over me in a 1.2

:iagree: Third gear would have been my chioce...

my 140 is all out of puff at 40mph in 2nd. You should have been in 3rd m8!

he was already behind me in the other lane with his foot flat down so i waited for him to become level then i booted it in second from doing about 40mph.

the annoying thing is it took afew second to build up speed and i was puling past him,

If he already had the speed on you and you had to catch up with his speed before overtaking him, it would usually take a while to get past him.

I knew someone that had a 1.2 clio and modified it until it was pretty quick, so maybe this one was modified also. Unless your car feels sluggish, I wouldn't really worry about tbh.

I reckon the Clio driver had his back seats laid down flat lol!

Answer is mate, remap! Having been out in a remapped 140 it was brutal compared to the standard. On my list of things to do!

yeah 3ird should have been the gear i was in but i remember being in 2nd at the start of the boost from the turbo in that gear, i may have been going less than 40 but 2nd felt right at the time, i wasnt in high revs when i floored

audis are heavy cars clios weigh about the same as a cig butt lol so thats probly why :laugh: a map should sort it get on the list

Im abit puzzled and annoyed at the moment.

i was driving though stafford last night when a little chavy 1.2 clio pulled out in front of me, forcing me to slam on my brakes.

then on a dual carriage way he obviously wanted to race and he was already behind me in the other lane with his foot flat down so i waited for him to become level then i booted it in second from doing about 40mph.

then the most annoying this was the chav driver and his chavy mate laughing at me and said through the window "HAHAHAHAHAHA its only a 1.2 HAHAHAHAHA"

i could have smacked him

but why is my car so slow that it's not much faster than a 1.2 clio???

he must only have 60bhp and i have 140bhp

im not happy right now haha

when he said

"its only a 1.2 hahah"
i did reply "yeah and look at it hahaha"

I timed my 140bhp A3 as 26 seconds, 0-100mph.
That's slow, by anyone's standards.

I've just read a report in the latest edition of Audi Driver of the latest 140 common-rail 2.0TDI Sport. It gives a 0-80mph figure of 14.6 secs compared with a Sportback 2.0 TDI -140 S-Line which they tested in the May 2007 which was 15.1 secs. So it seems the new CR engine may be a fraction quicker.

The fuel consumption was also better at an overall test value of 46.5 mpg compared with 40.4 mpg.

Why does everyone want to keep going faster anyway? My current A3 will cruise quite happily all day at 80-90mph. The only time I can go any faster is when I go on the autobahn in Germany.

Why does everyone want to keep going faster anyway? My current A3 will cruise quite happily all day at 80-90mph. The only time I can go any faster is when I go on the autobahn in Germany.

Come on Dave, my Mam says stuff like that!:)

Cheers
Paul

I've just read a report in the latest edition of Audi Driver of the latest 140 common-rail 2.0TDI Sport. It gives a 0-80mph figure of 14.6 secs compared with a Sportback 2.0 TDI -140 S-Line which they tested in the May 2007 which was 15.1 secs. So it seems the new CR engine may be a fraction quicker.

The fuel consumption was also better at an overall test value of 46.5 mpg compared with 40.4 mpg.

its not about going fast all the time but i should have spent a fraction on what i did on the A3 and bought a 1.2 clio.

I only want faster acceleration for when i'm in a tricky situation.
i do drive my girlfriends corsa abit though which i actually love to drive

Come on Dave, my Mam says stuff like that!:)

Cheers
Paul

Perhaps she has a point.

I enjoy driving quickly as much as the next person, but I don't see the need for constantly needing to go faster and faster. In this country I would say 80-90 is the most anyone can safely drive.

its not about going fast all the time but i should have spent a fraction on what i did on the A3 and bought a 1.2 clio.

I only want faster acceleration for when i'm in a tricky situation.
i do drive my girlfriends corsa abit though which i actually love to drive

If you only bought the Audi because you wanted it to be fast then you bought the wrong car. The A3 offers a lot more over a Corsa then how fast it will go.

If speed is the only thing you want from a car, then perhaps you should have done.

Perhaps she has a point.

I enjoy driving quickly as much as the next person, but I don't see the need for constantly needing to go faster and faster. In this country I would say 80-90 is the most anyone can safely drive.

yeah agreed but we were not doing anything near 90 in town, i rarely go over 70, it just quicker acceleration i want

Perhaps she has a point.

Sort of agree.

I very rarely exceed 90, too worried about my licence.

Its more the buzz of getting there, acceleration, and mid range punch that comes with big bhp.
High top speed isnt that imprtant to me but `nice to have`.

Japs have a similar view, they produce cars with bonkers peformance figures, 0-60 times etc, but restrict top speed to 112mph iirc.

cheers
Paul

Who was even talking about going 90mph+??

I thought this was about acceleration from a rolling start?

If speed is the only thing you want from a car, then perhaps you should have done.

i mainly bought it because i have always loved the look of the A3's but i would have expected a 2.0 tdi to be a fair bit quicker than a 1.2.

ok my gear choice may not have helped but its still abit gutting.

but soon i wont be complaining once i have 190 bhp

No way would a 1.2 clio overdo an Audi A3 8p.

Before my remap - i had a quick lip up the motorway with my mates ATR and he wasnt getting away....I use to have a heavy sub and stuff as well.

You mustn't be driving it right. The A3 is very tourqey as standard.

If you take it to around 4k rpm max, thats about when the boost is at peak and change gear then - ideal point tbh.

You say you want low end tourq - St3 race map is best for that. The tourqe curve kicks in more earlier of something like that - basically, more low end tourqe!

But even as standard, My A3 was very quick! No way would a 1.2 clio take me, ever! My mates have a 1.4 punto, 1.4 sxi corsa, 1.6 dynamic or soemthing clio - I've been in all their cars and no way would they ever take an A3 - even if louis hamilton was behind the wheel!

40mph in second - i would think you were out of your boost range - as before between 1.5k and 4k - you'll get the optimum boost! I;ve never redlined my a3 in all honesty - you really dont go any quicker...

And i future - i wouldnt bother with these chavs! There's no point - they cant drive and they might right of your car in the process. Trust me - you look miles better cruising along rather than trying to take on chavs!

i found this out the hard way when i took on a chav in my golf and thrashed him and i stopped at a set of lights and he smacked into the back of me. Obviously, the car was under his mums name and his horendous bodykit wasnt declared to the isnurance and i was 17 so my excess was high and had to pay for it for it myself - 1k out of pocket!

i mainly bought it because i have always loved the look of the A3's but i would have expected a 2.0 tdi to be a fair bit quicker than a 1.2.

ok my gear choice may not have helped but its still abit gutting.

but soon i wont be complaining once i have 190 bhp

Will the remap give you much more torque than existing. It's torque that makes a car accelerate quickly rather than top end bhp, which is one reason why diesels tend to be good at it. The problem in town traffic is usually dozy drivers who just have to stop at every roundabout etc, even if there is no other traffic for miles.

That must have been rather embarassing. I had an A3 2.0TDI 170 behind me going up a very long steep hill (it's a well known road locally to me) and dropping to 3rd and booting it i still wasn't really losing him at all, his derv showed no signs of running out of puff so i was impressed. I'd be shocked to my very core if a 1.2 clio was a faster car than an A3 in any guise though!

mate no way either way a 1.2 clio is on the same level as your audi surely something is wrong here. my bro has a 140tdi that pulls away from my dads passat i.8t easily so shurely it should have no issue with a clio 1.2.

That must have been rather embarassing. I had an A3 2.0TDI 170 behind me going up a very long steep hill (it's a well known road locally to me) and dropping to 3rd and booting it i still wasn't really losing him at all, his derv showed no signs of running out of puff so i was impressed. I'd be shocked to my very core if a 1.2 clio was a faster car than an A3 in any guise though!

He he I've been in a similar situation with a 182 Clio, long climb up from a roundabout on a dual carriageway. He was in front and floored it then I did too and I was actually gaining on him. Thats the torque coming into play up the hill though I guess.

I reckon its a case of wrong gear at the wrong time with this 140 A3 & the 1.2 Clio though, no other explanation for it!

I am having a test drive on Saturday in a new 2.0TDI-140 S-tronic with the new common-rail engine. It will interesting to see how it compares to my current 170 PD engine. My main reason for going to the 170 at the time was not the extra 30hp but that it seem a quieter and smoother engine. If it feels OK I may well consider going back to a 140 for the better mpg.

REMAP transforms your car. i had revo'd golf anni really nice. saying that i got train down for car with (Paul ar) we picked up car and i drove it straight to garage for a map and did filter 2!!:w00t: had car about an hour or so , so not sure how it was standard? lol defo get it mapped and scare some hotter hatches.

So you were attempting to race on the public highway? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that against the law in th U.K? If you had ever had to cut the remains out of the smashed up vehicles of street racers who have got it wrong, and one day you will get it wrong! Then I suspect you wouldn't rise to the bait next time! IMHO, "save it for track days"
regards
dave

So you were attempting to race on the public highway? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that against the law in th U.K? If you had ever had to cut the remains out of the smashed up vehicles of street racers who have got it wrong, and one day you will get it wrong! Then I suspect you wouldn't rise to the bait next time! IMHO, "save it for track days"
regards
dave

I was just accelerating up to the speed limit which i always do which isnt illegal which some chav was doing the same.
it was about 1 50yard
there was nothing dangerous with what i did, i wasnt breaking the speed limit i was flying round corners as fast i can, ok?

p.s im not a street racer, chav, or general idiot