1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by gedi, Jun 24, 2013.

1. gedi

gedi Member

I was thinking for a while now to attend some track day events. I have 98 1.8 N/A 2wd B5. Is it worth it to do some small suspension upgrades and try to participate in such event or not. Car is in daily use but im just after a bit of fun and improve my driving skills. Cheers.

2. voorhees

voorhees Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I took my car (2002 S3) on a trackday with just uprated Arb's but it was a newer car,I found my brakes faded very fast so I'd look at brake discs and pads as well,these days are adrenaline filled depends how well its organised and managed.

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

I doubt a 1.8 NA will be troubling the brakes too much!

You dont have to do anything to the car to have a blast on a trackday, just take it easy and get a feel for it. If you like it, you can narrow down which parts of your car need improvement and work on those for the next time.

I would try to avoid a "public" day if you can, try and find days organised by clubs or similar, as the folk tend to be a bit more sensible.

AR-rkon likes this.
  4. gedi

gedi Member

i dont think i have much problems with brakes cause its not that much of power. the only issue would be handling id say a bit of powerflex bushes and good set of tyres and them im ready :racer:

5. voorhees

voorhees Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You will be braking a lot but hey you may be okay,good luck

6. aragorn

I've been on track with my car with its 13 year old knackered bushes and it was fine. A bit snappy near the limit perhaps.

My cars also got standard brakes and standard 1.8T engine, and i could do 5 or 6 hard laps before the brakes began to fade. You've got less power and less weight than me because its a FWD non-turbo, so i suspect so long as you've got the later spec vented front disks, you wont have too much trouble with the brakes.

As i say, plenty fun can be had with your car as it is without spending loads.

7. voorhees

voorhees Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Obviously not driving it hard enough then :whistle2:

8. gedi

gedi Member

Yeah my brakes discs are vented. Is greenstuff brake pads any good with standard brake disc cause i was doing a bit of maintenance work on my car just spotted that they nearly gone so was thinking to upgrade the pads.

9. aragorn

Forget greenstuff.

Ferodo Premiers are a decent option for a road pad. For light track use, perhaps look at something like Mintex 1144, or Ferodo DS Performance.