Is It Worth Getting S3 Calipers On My A3 ??

kaz219

Reaction score
Hi guys.

The discs and pads are gone on my A3 2.0 TDI S-Line but i came accross some S3 calipers off an 07 plate.

Is it worth upgrading or are the brakes on my A3 good enough with Mintex discs and pads.

The brakes on my A3 have always been crap as they've been worn since the day i bought my car.

And if someone could, whats the difference?

So far, I've learnt the discs are bigger.

S3 are:
FRONT DISCS MEASURE 323MM X 28MM
REAR DISCS MEASURE 256MM X 22MM

A3 is:​
FRONT DISCS MEASURE 288mm x 25mm
REAR DISCS MEASURE 255mm x 10mm.​

1) Im struggling to find any more info? If anyone could help and shed some light, Id be really greatful (pistons etc.) :D

2) Is it worth spending the few hundred to get the S3 calipers?

3) Do i need S3 carriers or will my A3 ones work with the S3 Calipers?

Cheers guys :D

If you plan to do any mods to your car, the brakes upgrade is a must. I have had the experience of doing an MTM stage I ECU and found out the hard way that there is too much power for the brakes to handle. Imagine that plus a full exhaust or more!!

If your car is a non quattro, the rears wont fit. The S3 fronts bolt straight on and you will be able to clear the calipers with your 18inch RS wheel.

Dont worry about the back ones as you will be fine just keeping the stock rears. Just give it better pads and a steel brake line and you will be fine until you go to the track.

From what I know the original S3 brakes are only single piston but have a bigger piston than the original. The brakes might be slightly less progressive in terms of stopping when compared to your old ones but will definately stop better. Go for a multi piston setup if you want more progressive braking....

Hope this helps

Your a star mate!

just what i wanted to hear :D

I'm getting my A3 remapped in a few months so just wanted to be on the safe side then hopefully, upgrade the turbo and a few other bits and get a stage 2 remap (around 220bhp).

I doubt I'll be using the car on tracks, it just on the road really to get to and from Uni but I'd rather have more braking power than less! (well...im sure anyone would!)

I'll speak to the guy on monday and try and hopefully, strike a deal :D

Will let you know how it goes.

And also, where car i get steel brake lines from? Cheers :D

front brakes from s3 / 3.2 and golf r32 are all the same - 345mmf fronts with a single pot aluminium caliper - its a lot lighter than the steel tdi caliper, and they certainly stop a whole lot better

a set of 345mm front calipers/disks/mounts generally go for about 250-300 on ebay

Cheers guys,

i got my figures from the mintex site.

He wants £450 for everything (discs/pads/carriers/calipers)...

Im going to try and barter but will see how it goes!

The figures you have are for the previous 8L chassis S3 and not the current one as they are bigger as already posted above!

I had a similar problem with my beetle, when it was standard it was fine but once pushing 235bhp the brakes were fading all the time. I got a brembo GT kit from a Leon Cupra R and the difference was incredible. Brakes are a definate must have upgrade if you intend to get serious with the BHP.

On a side note, if your car is a DSG then arent they not limited to how much torque they can transfer? If so then would it be really worth pushing it up to 220bhp? A standard map up to 170 would be sufficient for normal use i would guess?

Ok...so thats where i went wrong :D

But the brakes are def off an S3 2007 so its the bigger ones! Hoep i get them :D

I've not really looked into the remap just yet...but from looking at Allard stuff and what been done on a mk5 TDI, you can get 220bhp on a stage 2 but the tourqe will be the same as a stage 1 (mayeb a wee bit more) but top end it will have a lot more power.

ITs not about the 0-60, its about the 50-70, 70-90, 100-120 etc. Top end. I've not really looked into it as on the road, i doubt I'll be doing them speeds but I'm deof getting a remap at the end of this year !
I've got soem exact figures on teh diffrence between a standard, stage 1 and stage 2.

I tried bidding on them but they're not the ones i was on about.

Though I'd slide in a cheeky £200 but they went for £50 more but i didnt get to speak to teh guy about them (mileage, condition) as they look a bit dirty in the pics.

Mine are from a mates mate from Derby (I think :S)