1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it my driving or what?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by willnabby, Mar 13, 2007.

1. willnabby

willnabby RS-one day soon!!

Ive had my 1.9 tdi sportback a couple of weeks now and occaisionally it runs for a few seconds like a carburettor petrol engine does when its flooded:think: I:e no power, maybe its me trundling round in top gear at low revs, 11-1200 or so, i could do that in my last car (audi cab 2.6 V6) it'd be fine going 25mph in top gear and still pull away and didn't often have to change down at roundabouts etc, am I doing the diesel equivilent of gassing it up? Iv'e never had a diesel before, the cars done 600 miles so far, I guess im driving a bit to economically just cos its a Tdi?:blink:

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You can't really compare it to a V6 petrol - completely different.
    Why are you trying to kill it by pulling away in top gear at low speeds?
    That's not going to give you economy, it'll actually be less economy than using the gears.

4. willnabby

willnabby RS-one day soon!!

I dont mean im setting off in top, i do go from 1st and through the gears , i meant at speeds of like 25 in traffic etc, should i leave it in 4th not 5th, I'd always presumed diesel engines had alot of torque and would be ok at low speed high gear combo thats all, think I need to change my driving style and the cars fine, just never having driven a Tdi before I don't know thier characteristics.

5. benw123

benw123 Moderator

The TDI takes time to wake up under acceleration until the turbo opens up, and the 1.9 is worse than the 2.0 for this. If you try and take off in any gear under 1500rpm, you're gonna have to wait.

Just keep the needle between 1500rpm and 2000rpm in most flowing-traffic situations and if you need the performance it'll be there!

6. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

Yeah,just sounds like turbo lag,which does take some getting used to.
    I remember the first time I drove a turbo diesel,I tried to pull onto a roundabout quickly,nothing happened and I thought I was going to be flattened by a lorry.
    You'll probably learn to get around it by using the clutch more (slipping it away from junctions to get the turbo up and spinning).

It's why i don't think DSG suits the turbo diesel engine.
    The lack of manual clutch = no way of getting the revs up = no option but to wait for the turbo = terrible delay at junctions.

7. batwad

batwad Member

25mph in 5th can be a bit of a chugfest; I wouldn't expect to get anywhere fast doing that. Much better to drop it to 4th for trundling at that speed or 3rd if you want some more fun :)

8. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

I tend to work on the basis of minimum speeds/gears as 30mph for 3rd, 40 for 4th, 50 for 5th and 60 for 6th. Seems to work OK for me and that's using the tip-tronic mode on the S-tronic.