Is it a Black Edition or not?

DorsetGuy

Reaction score
Website
www.youparkandfly.co.uk
Hi all,

New here, my first post. Also my first Audi, been a succession of Golfs previously. My current Golf GTD is making way for an S3 Sportback, super excited!

Ordered about a month ago with delivery (fingers crossed) for early December. The myAudi link has production start 16th Nov.

Notice over the last week the Audi configurator etc. Has added the Black Edition to the range, where other than the black styling it's different wheels, privacy glass and the B&O sound system. I have specified privacy glass and the B&O sound system for my pre Black Edition car.

The myAudi page did have the car as S3 Sportback but has now changed to Black Edition S3 Sportback! Not complaining, very nice just wonder which will turn up. Asked the dealer they not sure either.

Any guesses?

Many Thanks

Reactions: Frazer Doe
Hello and welcome.

Strange that is has possibly changed your S3 order to a S3 BE, as like you said it was ordered 3 weeks before there was a hint of the BE.

Also, your own personal taste might not prefer the Black styling of the BE, and those BE new rotor style alloys, which don't look as good as the standard S3 alloys to me.

Maybe your dealer needs to do some digging.

Reactions: Simon L
Ask your dealer, but I wouldn't worry about it. My car is also shown as a black edition on the tracker. It's sitting in my garage at the moment, and I can assure every bit of chrome is in its rightful place.
IMG 2981

Reactions: TDI-line
Ask your dealer, but I wouldn't worry about it. My car is also shown as a black edition on the tracker. It's sitting in my garage at the moment, and I can assure every bit of chrome is in its rightful place.
View attachment 107178

Nice of Audi to completely mislead everyone though eh!

Reactions: ammo-mcr, pburv, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
Nice of Audi to completely mislead everyone though eh!
It's commonplace at the moment. The track your order thread is full of pseudo black editions.

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
Very strange.. no privacy on the picture of a 'Black edition!"

ANYONE ELSE DISLIKE THE STANDARD 18IN WHEELS. (sorry about caps!)

Very strange.. no privacy on the picture of a 'Black edition!"

ANYONE ELSE DISLIKE THE STANDARD 18IN WHEELS. (sorry about caps!)

Horrible black edition wheels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think almost all of us who have S3's on order have had it change on a daily basis from standard to BE.
I'm just assuming I'll get what I ordered, and no more than that.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
I think almost all of us who have S3's on order have had it change on a daily basis from standard to BE.
I'm just assuming I'll get what I ordered, and no more than that.

Let's hope you get what you ordered, was a spate of cars not built to correctvspec on here about a year ago

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Let's hope you get what you ordered, was a spate of cars not built to correctvspec on here about a year ago

I'm just away to contact the dealer just to make sure. You've got me worried now.
Some of the S3 BE stuff I like, some I don't.

Reactions: Simon L
Audi's computer tracking system is nuts basically, didn't you all go over the order forms with your sales person? Logic says how the **** can you order a car say over a couple of months ago, and the Black Editions are only starting to get made now.

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
Hate those wheels - I've decided. IF I go for another S3 I'll spec something different. Hoping I can stretch to an RS though.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
didn't you all go over the order forms with your sales person?

I did and we (me and head of sales) almost made the same mistake until head of business pointed it out!!!!!!

The order forms the easier part, its the entering onto the ordering system that's the hard bit

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Simon L and pburv
I did and we (me and head of sales) almost made the same mistake until head of business pointed it out!!!!!!

The order forms the easier part, its the entering onto the ordering system that's the hard bit

Yeah mate the Black Eds are just being built now....para.....noia......is setting in......me thinks....lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn, pburv, Daveotto and 1 other person
My audi configurator is also saying BE, didn't even notice until your post prompted me to check... I much prefer the chrome grill and non BE alloys, does anybody know if the BE interior is any different?

I may check with the audi dealership as they have already had to cancel the first order as they ordered the wrong colour :blush:

My audi configurator is also saying BE, didn't even notice until your post prompted me to check... I much prefer the chrome grill and non BE alloys, does anybody know if the BE interior is any different?

I may check with the audi dealership as they have already had to cancel the first order as they ordered the wrong colour :blush:

Same interior

Reactions: pburv
Reading the Track My Order thread and the section where you can interrogate the HTLM behind myAudi to see the progress status and the specifications of the car.

In mine in three places it says it's the black edition. Model variant, long name and trim line all say Black Edition.

The wheels are listed as code MRADC0Z can anyone tell me if that is the product code for the normal wheels or the black edition wheels?

Thanks

Has anyone managed to source decent pics of the BE? I much prefer the blacked out trim over chrome, and really dislike the diffuser on the standard S3. However...really not sure on the BE wheels. Think (probably like the diffuser tbf) they look much worse on the configurator than in real life.

I could spec the 19" V-spokes, which I love, but not sure I can justify the extra £1400 to get mag-ride as well....

Is mag-ride necessary to fitting 19" wheels, or is it Audi just being...well Audi?

Has anyone managed to source decent pics of the BE? I much prefer the blacked out trim over chrome, and really dislike the diffuser on the standard S3. However...really not sure on the BE wheels. Think (probably like the diffuser tbf) they look much worse on the configurator than in real life.

I could spec the 19" V-spokes, which I love, but not sure I can justify the extra £1400 to get mag-ride as well....

Is mag-ride necessary to fitting 19" wheels, or is it Audi just being...well Audi?
Spec the saloon mate ..Solves your 19" and mag ride question...:rock:

Reactions: DrEskimo and Audi Bairn
Reading the Track My Order thread and the section where you can interrogate the HTLM behind myAudi to see the progress status and the specifications of the car.

In mine in three places it says it's the black edition. Model variant, long name and trim line all say Black Edition.

The wheels are listed as code MRADC0Z can anyone tell me if that is the product code for the normal wheels or the black edition wheels?

Thanks

Just checked my order from August and the wheel code is MRADC0Z which were the standard 18" .

However it now says

.data.vehicleData.make">"make": "Audi",
  • .data.vehicleData.model">"model": "S3",
  • .data.vehicleData.modelVariant">"modelVariant": "Black Edition 2.0 TFSI quattro",
  • .data.vehicleData.modelVersion">"modelVersion": "0",
  • .data.vehicleData.modelYear">"modelYear": "2017",
  • .data.vehicleData.vehicleLongDescription">"vehicleLongDescription": "Black Edition 2.0 TFSI quattro 310 PS S tronic",
  • .data.vehicleData.exteriorColour">"exteriorColour": "Tango red, metallic",

@DrEskimo Ha yea but much more expensive....!

It's only money....What's up with you...:whistle2:
@jassyo06

More expensive than my well kitted out S5 ;)
My motivations for swapping now are to save money and own a car with similar performance that is easier to park...not sure the saloon is much smaller than the Coupe?

Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
Oh I'm off to test drive the S3 today...I've only actually driven one about 20yards so should be fun :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and pburv
My motivations for swapping now are to save money and own a car with similar performance that is easier to park...not sure the saloon is much smaller than the Coupe?
You will be surprised...Saloon is 4,466 mm and the hatchback is 4,322mm and the S5 is 4,673 mm...Not much in it....lol

Reactions: Jassyo06

Your best bet is a used S3 mate, reasonable mileage great spec

Oh I'm off to test drive the S3 today...I've only actually driven one about 20yards so should be fun :)
Don't forget to drive it like you stole it.....Have fun...:friends:

Reactions: Jassyo06
not sure the saloon is much smaller than the Coupe?

171mm shorter
60mm narrower

So probably not as much in it as you'd expect.
Sitting in them the S5 feels much bigger and wider.

Reactions: pburv and DrEskimo
Your best bet is a used S3 mate, reasonable mileage great spec

Yea I'm keeping an eye out. 2013 with 30k on the clock is about £22k. I know overall this will be much cheaper, but so much more capital upfront and bigger monthlies on a personal loan are putting me off...

Yea I'm keeping an eye out. 2013 with 30k on the clock is about £22k. I know overall this will be much cheaper, but so much more capital upfront and bigger monthlies on a personal loan are putting me off...

So if you go pcp, how will you dispose of the S5.... trade in....?

So if you go pcp, how will you dispose of the S5.... trade in....?

Yea probably through WBAC. Was getting about £4K difference between trade in and remaining finance. Very happy to advertise it on here for the amount I get offered. Was about £34.5k.

Reactions: pburv and Audi Bairn