Is free servicing with Audi Finance worth it?

danski

Reaction score
Hi all, I am stepping back into the Audi fray (after a temporary affair with VW) and I have opted for a nearly new A4 Avant s-line (2.0 tdi 177). The VW scirocco is being part exchanged and the balance will be funded by part cash and part finance. I am looking at £7,500 on finance and Audi are offering me 12.5% APR on that. Essentially it means that I will pay £350 per month for 24 months and so the total that I will pay in interest over the 24 months is about £980 (which includes the £60 release fee at the end). With that I get two years free servicing or 24,000 miles - whichever comes soonest - and they have said that they could put me on a fixed service place so that I can squeeze in two services.

However, the same £7,500 loan through Sainsburys is 5.4% APR which would mean total interest of approx. £480. So with that long run up, is it worth paying an extra £500 to Audi finance for the free servicing? I know that Audi has fixed price servicing for cars aged 3 years and above but for cars aged under 3 years old do they really ramp up the servicing costs? I've had an A3 and a TT before but both were bought at around 2.5 years old so I've never serviced an Audi which is under 3 years old. Any tips appreciated.

I don't know because I've not yet had mine serviced but I'm pretty sure that there won't be a huge amount in it to be honest. Maybe £100 if that? I'd say just go for the Audi finance because it means you know that the servicing is sorted and you won't be out of pocket at any point (in a lump payment) to pay for it. That's just me though. :)

I took out the finance to get the free servicing and paid it off a week later! Cost me £140 for 2 years servicing ;)

When i got my car last christmas the salesman told me to get the finance then cancel straight away. Basically i got the car with some finance, 4 days later a called and cancelled the finance. ( it says in the small print you can cancel within 14 days without excuse and all you pay is interest in the time you've had it) I basically got a full service with oil change and filters and whatever else for £17.

I took out the finance to get the free servicing and paid it off a week later! Cost me £140 for 2 years servicing ;)

That sounds like a good idea!! I will have to check the small print though because when I asked the finance guy whether I can pay off the finance early he said that I can but that i was better off leaving some finance unpaid in order to hang onto the free servicing. Therefore, maybe that was a loophole which they have now closed. In any event, the two of you have done this seem to have paid it off within the 14 day cancellation period. If I paid off the finance after the 14 days - say in 6 months time - do you know whether I would also have to pay the 24 months worth of interest or whether they would then calculate the interest up to the point that I paid off the finance?

not sure about the interest. I cancelled my finance but didn't get the service until about 6 months later

That sounds like a good idea!! I will have to check the small print though because when I asked the finance guy whether I can pay off the finance early he said that I can but that i was better off leaving some finance unpaid in order to hang onto the free servicing. Therefore, maybe that was a loophole which they have now closed. In any event, the two of you have done this seem to have paid it off within the 14 day cancellation period. If I paid off the finance after the 14 days - say in 6 months time - do you know whether I would also have to pay the 24 months worth of interest or whether they would then calculate the interest up to the point that I paid off the finance?

The reason he said that is because if you cancel within the 14 days as you have every right to do he will not get any commission on the finance! :(

bought mine using the finance option in september, 12 days later i cancelled then had so many days days to pay the balance.....
the difference in interest compared to bank loan option would have paid for lots of services not just the 2 on offer
however still received the free service agreement/schedule after cancelling and not heard anything different yet :)

in the end paid my balance from savings, now im skint!!! and now repay myself at a favourable interest rate ;-)

Its got to be done mate, depending on what service is needed you can save a packet. And everyone loves a loophole