1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anybody racing a S3?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by ibizakiwi, Nov 9, 2004.

1. ibizakiwi

ibizakiwi New Member

Hi.
    I have in mind preparing a S3 for rallies and would like to have some inputs / advices from anybody with experience on this car or similar 4wd Haldex (golf, tt, leon FR).

Thanks.

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. NWMark

NWMark Member

ive never seen a race / rally prepped S3.

not sure if its the ideal car for this sort of thing due to weight and non perm 4WD, although get a base spec model with no extra's (less weight) strip it out, buy a 50/50 haldex controller for perm 4WD and i think it would be a hoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

although if 4WD isnt essential then i imagine an A3, golf or Lean would be a better starting platform and cheaper too.

Mark

4. ibizakiwi

ibizakiwi New Member

This is an extract from the Haldex web page:
    "The application software communicates with other active systems in the vehicle via a data bus. It determines the vehicle state with the help of the read signals. Examples of received signals are: engine torque, engine revs and wheel speeds. From this estimated vehicle state, the optimum torque distribution is determined in each condition.
    If the input signals are lost due to a failure in another ECU, the Haldex LSC enters a limp home mode, maintaining AWD."
    Acording to other Haldex info, the system only operates when a given speed is reached, so maybe in rolling roads they disconnect the speed sensor (it's just a guess).

5. AndybS3

AndybS3 Member

Mark's right Ibiza, disconnecting the Haldex ECU puts the car into front wheel drive, also the Haldex can be engaged from take-off that's why it's near impossible to wheelspin the S3