Is a stock 150hp AGU engine even worth remapping?

luckymacy

Reaction score
I mean, if you have no intention of doing any other mods, is the difference really "funner" if you are just using it as a commuter car? Will a stock AGU really get a lot more lower end grunt and acceleration and would that put a strain on the stock parts like the clutch?

Is the remapping add more to the mid range, or to the low or high ends?

Lucky, you simply would not believe just how different the AGU is when remapped. it's not a case of making your car faster, it's literally like having a whole new car! the difference really is night and day.

In standard 150bhp form, the 1.8T is really pretty slow, and has no kick to it at all. when mapped, there's so much more pull in the midrange and top end, but with no real downsides at all.

Bearing in mind the internals are much the same as the 225bhp S3 engine, there really isn't anything to worry about stress/strain wise, and you'll almost certainly get better fuel economy from it when mapped as well.

Basicly, it's a massive waste not to remap it

I would definately go for a remap, I had 193bhp out my old A3 and it really is the best thing you could do, Money well spent...

Any Vag motor with a remap is a better car to own...

Thanks, you guys are encouraging. I just have to first figure out if the turbo system is even working before dropping the $ on the remap. I'm still trying to figure out how to best DIY AGU turbo leak check and waiting for answers on other threads.

ps, any company/type of remap any better than any other in my situation which is not really going to do anything further after that (like add other HW components)

what year did the Golf GTI turbo come out over there? In england, the first golt GTIs had the AGU too, then in 2000 the ARZ, followed by the AUM in late 2000. these are very different mapping wise to the AGU, as they have a drive by wire throttle, and the AUM has a map sensor (unsure about the ARZ)

Early passats and A4 1.8T's had KO3 turbo's and cable throttles, although I'm not sure how similar the maps would be, they'd surely be closer than those for the DBW engines.

I was informed that the AUM engine also uses a K03S instead of the K03 turbo. Is this correct?

don't think so. I sold an AUM and it was KO3

do it, and you will love it, I would say revo as well if you like a punchy kick.

how can you be sure it has a ko3 turbo? the AGU and ARZ had ko3 turbo's, and developed 150bhp, the AUM had a ko3S, and developed exactly the same 150bhp, it's just that the newer turbo is capable of developing more with the correct tunning.

how can you be sure it has a ko3 turbo? the AGU and ARZ had ko3 turbo's, and developed 150bhp, the AUM had a ko3S, and developed exactly the same 150bhp, it's just that the newer turbo is capable of developing more with the correct tunning.

Good point actually! the only way of knowing would be to physically go and look??? lol but i wouldnt know the diffrence btween the 2! :(

back to the first post - id have thought that mapping any car would make it more enjoyable to drive, especially a turbo car, go for it id say! :)