Is 80k too much?

jibbajabba

Reaction score
2002 1.9 TDi 130 - 82k on the clock. She feels a bit rough and 'boaty'. Mainly a commuter car so will hit the 100k possibly before end of year.

Question is this: Do I exchange for a newer/lesser mileage or will a couple of spruce up jobs like wheels, new OEM suspension parts, possible remap do the job. I love the car, just maybe loosing a bit of confidence in her.

Maybe I am just getting paranoid about the high mileage as it's the highest I have ever gone in a car before?

Suspension,RS4 RARB and a remap and it will feel great.
80k is nothing on these diesels as long as it has been looked after.

There are much better suspension kits than OEM,i went with Koni and it was fantastic.

80k is nothing on the engine. The suspension might be feeling a bit tired though.

My 02 TDi 130 has done 160k still drives like new. If you don't have leather/alcantara (most diesels don't), then swapping out the interior really transforms the car. I got a complete leather/alcantara interior & door cards for £400 on ebay. You get that new car smell everytime you get in it.

Just as I was thinking, I just needed telling I suppose.

Correct about the suspension though, it feels tired alright, so might look to upgrade it. The car had done 42k when I bought it, never had any engine trouble and the service this week is the first non-dealer one since I bought it, so I think the engine is in good nick. I had also had the timing belt replaced at 55k. Belt will prob need doing again at around the 100k mark?

So by the looks of it, its suspension first then? That would probably give the car the most back in terms of handling and drivability, I suppose?

New brakes are due, so EC pads and disks would be alright I suppose?

As for the leather, that would we fantastic if i could get my hands on some

I want to keep the car looking as 'oem-like' as possible though, so no lowering etc, sports brakes etc, just quality bits to replace with.

I don't even think about changing my car until it gets to around the 150k mark, my avants at 87k now and running lovely (you watch it go wrong now!!)

High mileage is your friend. Buy the youngest car you can afford with the highest miles = guarantee it's all motorway driving = very few reliability problems. Choose a low mileage older car and you know all it's ever done is the shopping/school run = very bad for the engine.
I bought my TDi with 115k already on the clock, 50k later and all it's had is a new turbo.