ipod with concert II

ginner

Reaction score
Hi guys, its my first post so firstly hello to everyone.

I ordered my A3 2.0 TDI on the 06/01/2005......already counting down the days! I am wanting to fix an Ipod via the dension Ice link but want to fit it in the glove compartment. Does anyone know if the concert stereo can control the ipod i.e. change tracks etc

Also I have read in a couple of posts that Audi have contacted people to tell them they are building the car.....Do they contact everyone?

Thanks guys, gonna go to bed and then I can tick another day of the calendar.

i'm intending to install an ice>Link in the next couple of weeks... i'll post some pics on here when i'm done.

in the meantime check out iPodLounge: http://www.ipodlounge.com, loads of good info on the iPod in general, check out the "Gear" forum for in-car info.

It's the space directly in front of the gear stick where the ash tray is. I think the base is rubber so their is minimal movement from the iPod. At the moment I'm actually quite happy to leave it there as it's out of sight and easy to access. My original plan was to mount it in the glovebox but I'm considering this option less and less each day. I ordered the cable version and what I have done is put it into the original iPod belt clip case upside down so i can plug in the cable. It's protected quite well.

Here's another tip. If you want to dashboard mount it both Carphone Warehouse and Unicar do it. Unicar seems the better option IMHO. They will come to you at no extra charge (London metro at least) and complete the install for £50 including VAT. For an extra £16 they will supply the dashboard mount bracket which prevents you having to actually drill holes in the dash and potentially devalue the car. I'm sure you could get the bracket more cheaply. My Sportback is due for delivery on the 26th of Jan so I will be ordering in iceLink and having it installed in the next few weeks. I'll try to remember to post once I have had it installed and give some feedback for you guys.

Cheers

found this website.

http://www.ihavetohave.it

I'm going for:

Audi headunit removal keys (£7.99)
Bracket (the one that clips on rather than drilling hole) (£15)
ICElink (£99.99)

I'm gonna have a go at doing it myself, but was wandering as to how to feed the cable to the rear of the headunit- any ideas?

[ QUOTE ]
tboy said:
found this website.

http://www.ihavetohave.it

I'm going for:

Audi headunit removal keys (£7.99)
Bracket (the one that clips on rather than drilling hole) (£15)
ICElink (£99.99)

I'm gonna have a go at doing it myself, but was wandering as to how to feed the cable to the rear of the headunit- any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll try and take a look at mine later to see where the cable goes.... might try and take a pic too...

right- I've managed to install the Dension myself, don't bother with paying £50+ for it- it really is a piece of p1ss, and i've absolutely no knowledge of ICE installs or anything remotely similar- I've never even changed the fuse on a plug!!!

However!!! I'm trying to perform the software update, and seem to be struggling, any advice? My ipod is currently on release 2.02, and I wanna get it up to 2.04. Also, is anyone else experiencing odd behaviour when skipping through tracks?

tboy, you talking about updating the firmware on the iPod itself? just download the updater from here:
http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/
plug the iPod into your Mac/PC and run the updater, usually works fine for me.

does the Concert II show the track/artist info on its display?

Unfortunately not, only on the iPod itself.

The only weird behavior seems to be if I try and do too much too quickly, it seems to confuse the iPod and/or head unit. For example, if I select an album, then hit play, then skip to the next track from the head unit immediately, sometimes it just hangs for a second or two, then goes back to the main menu on the iPod. Then it'll just drop straight back to the main menu whenever I try and play a track. The only solution is to switch off the iPod and turn off the head unit, then turn it all back on again.

It only does it very occasionally, and is fine as long as I don't rush it!

[ QUOTE ]
Mac1 said:
Hi all, i'm after a bit of help. I've fitted an icelink plus to my concert II but don't get any power at all to the cradle. What is this loose black wire as i did'nt see one ? Any help much appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]

if you pull it all out at the back, the loom of wires connected to the harness that goes into the back of the HU should have a black cable, which should be loose at one end. You should attach this to the bare metal anywhere on the back/top of the HU.

[ QUOTE ]
check out iPodLounge: http://www.ipodlounge.com, loads of good info on the iPod in general, check out the "Gear" forum for in-car info.

[/ QUOTE ]

IPod lounge has some good info but lots of the same stuff repeated over and over. I have a crx track car - I noticed on the Honda forums some guys recommend the neo ion www.mp3yourcar.com so I checked them out and bought one.

I got the Itrip FM transmitter for mine. Its no way as good as the hardwired solution but ok if you use the IPod in the car occasionally. Finding a clear fm station can take a while but the high end seems to be better (104fm +).
I already have an MP3 sony changer in the glovebox so this was just for fun really.

Yeah I have the iTrip also, and found it was fine for pootling around town when you can keep it on the one frequency, but for cross-country trips I kept getting drowned out by local radio stations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I use the itrip I have found the best frequency is 87.5, you have to add this from the griffin site. It is one of the few FM frequencies not to be sold in the UK.

[ QUOTE ]
I use the itrip I have found the best frequency is 87.5, you have to add this from the griffin site. It is one of the few FM frequencies not to be sold in the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep 87.5 was the frequency I used most often, but in Ireland, it sometimes gets drowned out by RTE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Don't get me wrong, iTrip is very handy, but it's never going to match a wired solution.

[ QUOTE ]
It's the space directly in front of the gear stick where the ash tray is. I think the base is rubber so their is minimal movement from the iPod. At the moment I'm actually quite happy to leave it there as it's out of sight and easy to access. My original plan was to mount it in the glovebox but I'm considering this option less and less each day. I ordered the cable version and what I have done is put it into the original iPod belt clip case upside down so i can plug in the cable. It's protected quite well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were there enough space behind the HU for the cable to go to the ash tray? Is the installation really plug-and-play sort of (haven't really installed anything before) or is there possibility to mess it up? Is there any good installation guides around?

[ QUOTE ]
How did you mount it in the glove box? Was it easy to install?

[/ QUOTE ]
Really easy, yes.
I've mounted it to the right hand side at the top, just on the side of the airbag switch.
Give me your email address, and I'll email you some photos that I took while installing it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif