1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod nano tranmits songs wirelessly through speakers!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by sat1983, Jun 10, 2007.

1. sat1983

sat1983 Member

Forgive me if this is a well known fact, but I thought I'd share.
    Having the single DIN Concert unit which doesn't play MP3's, I had started a thread a few weeks back asking if there was a possibility in any way to play mp3's throught the headunit.
    I was birthday boy yesterday (24:icon_thumright: ) and with birthday money bought an ipod nano and a kensington FM transmitter. Its bloody amazing the ipod fits neatly in the ash tray (never used of course!) and transmits all the songs wirelessly to the concert unit and plays those songs as if they came on the radio. If that makes sense. Really love it, and sorry if this is old news and I was stuck in the past!
    [​IMG]
  2. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

Yep, it is a well known fact. As is the fact that they're **** if you do any sort of mileage as you have to keep retuning them.
  3. Smudge973

Smudge973 Member

I received the Belkin version as a present, poor sound considering the Ipod is situated very close the the headunit.
  4. marms

marms Member

Problems with FM transmitters are:-

- Variable sound quality
    - Necessary to re-tune if you travel and distance
    - Impossible to find a 'free' frequency if you live in heavily populated area
    - Doesn't charge iPOD
    - Can't control iPOD from headunit

Having said that. They do work and for some will be the perfect solution.
  5. sat1983

sat1983 Member

Yep, tested it today. And its quite *****... It seems like there is loads of interference..... Waste of money!!!!!! makes me angry!!!!!
  6. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

I got one in the USA and while it does require a retune every now and then, there are always plenty of free frequencies at the top and bottom end of the FM spectrum, there are no issues with sound quality - it's a little bit hissy if I crank it right up, but hey, I am 34 so that isn't going to happen. Mine also charges the iPOD.

As for not being able to control the iPOD - nor does the laughable attempt at iPOD integration when you pay a LOT more for it from Audi!!!!
  7. marms

marms Member

Don't know which brand you're talking about or where in the country you are.

In London there are that many Radio stations broadcasting it's impossible to find a free frequency. Same in most big Cities around the UK.

When I had one (with a previous car) I was forever retuning the damn thing. It became very annoying. On one particular journey from Lincolnshire to Devon I had to retune a total of eleven times.

The Audi OEM unit does control the iPOD. It's not perfect but the sound quality is far superior to the FM modulators. All IMO of course.

I'm not saying they are terrible. For some the fact that you don't have to do any wiring or removal of any trim/radio etc is a definite deciding factor.
  8. parbox

parbox New Member

the ones with a seperate power source (rather than powered by the ipod) are much better quality and gererally quite usable - and they charge your ipod at the same time.
  9. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

I'm in North London, but I do travel the length and width of the country and I would have to say retuning is not a massive issue, but that's me.

Not sure on the brand, but it has a cradle built in and plugs directly into the cigarette lighter socket, then you slot the pod into it. It wasn't cheap by US standards, about $45 I think - but this is WAY cheaper than they are here!!!

They are far from perfect, but for me, it offers an acceptible solution.

My boss has just got an A6 with the multimedia pack, which actually controls the iPod properly - displays track names and album names etc. Now if that were an option on the A3 then I would have taken it, without doubt....
  10. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator

www.caraudioplus.com.uk have some good stuff. I've got my sony mp3 player in the cubby hole above my ashtray using a cable from the back of my head unit. Will also fit my next audi :D
  11. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

these FM transmitters are next to useless in london, ok if you live somewhere where there is only 2 or 3 stations but in the capital there are about 200.