1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod lag and SD cards

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by sebtomato, Dec 21, 2013.

1. sebtomato

sebtomato Member

[Dec 21, 2013]
    Hi,

I have connected my old iPod mini to the MMI using the provided AMI cable (with dock connector) that came with the car. However, there is a bit of lag when moving the next track or previous track (about 2 seconds).

My previous A3 (without MMI but iPod connector in glove compartment) using the very same iPod was a lot more responsive.

Is it due to the MMI itself being slow or just the old iPod?

Is reading from an SD card more responsive?

Thanks,
    S.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. Battlekrapz

Battlekrapz Member

[Dec 21, 2013]
    There's absolutely no lag when playing from SD but i do personally believe your iPod is the one to blame.
  3. sebtomato

sebtomato Member

[Dec 22, 2013]
    Thanks. I have tried the SD card and it's working fine indeed.

Does anybody have any lag with an iPod?
  4. pat15312

pat15312 Active Member

[Dec 22, 2013]
    Yep, there is quite a bit of lag when using an iPod/iPhone with the AMI cable. Bit annoying as you'd expect this to be the best way to connect and listen to music in the car :/ I mean, who can be arsed to load music into an SD card?!? Right PITA...
    PilotAudi likes this.
  5. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Dec 22, 2013]
    Just as I cannot be 'arsed' to buy a ipod/phone. My little SD card will do it all for me as did the 32gb memory stick that was in my Focus. Not that I listen to anything other than the radio these days...
    Battlekrapz likes this.
  6. Daveotto

Daveotto Well-Known Member

[Dec 22, 2013]
    Me for one, not exactly taxing to update your iTunes library onto an SD card once every month. If you like your music and want to have access to all your music it's worth the 5 minutes of "hassle" once in a while.

TBH am loving the music set up, SD card for iTunes stuff, DAB and Bluetooth my phone for Spotify premium content.....all the music I could ever want....happy days.
  7. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[Dec 22, 2013]
    Yeh, copy and paste, such a pain :D
  8. pat15312

pat15312 Active Member

[Dec 22, 2013]
    Why would I want to manually update an SD card periodically when an iPhone stays live and fresh all the time. I buy a song from iTunes or download a new podcast on my phone, it downloads, I play it through the car - easy. It also keeps my album artwork and play/skip count updated too. I can search using various different lists i.e. playlist, artist, song title, album title etc. Can you do this using the SD card or do you have to stick with the fixed Artist/Album/Song folder structure? If you had access to an iDevice why would you prefer to use an SD card? The only issue is the lag which is the question posed by the OP - it shouldn't exist and look to be an AMI issue.
  9. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[Dec 22, 2013]
    You can navigate in exactly the same way - by artist, by album, by song, search all of them with the handwriting recognition, cover flow etc... But, I always navigate by folders because funnily enough, I've set the folder structure up in my preferred way, so I don't have to use the fixed way of navigating them that iDevices give you.

Because iTunes is the single worst bit of software I've ever come across, Apple rip you off for mediocre devices and I have ultimate flexibility with my SD Card to use it how I want?
    Psyman79 likes this.
  10. Daveotto

[Dec 22, 2013]
    I want to because my iPhone has only 16gb and my music collection is much larger so need to use the SD card for extra storage and use iPhone for storing off line Spotify content.......each to there own I suppose!!

and in relation to the OP question, I do get a slight lag from my iPhone, not sure it is as long as 2secs and TBH is not an issue for me
  11. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Dec 22, 2013]
    Download from Amazon onto my SD card, as easy as that. I shudder at the thought of using a Apple product...
    Psyman79 and cemerson like this.
  12. bleedsoff

bleedsoff Active Member

[Dec 22, 2013]
    Is there much lag with Spotify from iPhone via bluetooth?

Any good iPhone chargers as well?
  13. Daveotto

[Dec 22, 2013]
    Have not noticed much in the way of a lag but is difficult to say for sure as by default Spotify buffers a few seconds of content to accommodate for network issues. I have experienced a couple of times is occasional loss of continuous play when buffer runs out and have put this down to poor signal rather then the connection fron phone to car.
    bleedsoff likes this.
  14. pat15312

pat15312 Active Member

[Dec 22, 2013]
    I surrender!!!
    Daveotto and cemerson like this.
  15. sebtomato

sebtomato Member

[Dec 23, 2013]
    No, you can't unless you have the Tech Pack. With the standard MMI/SD card, you can only navigate the SD card by folder, whereas by artists etc through an iPod or iPhone, so you get more functionality through an iPod/iPhone, but a very annoying lag!