IPod docks for S3

StevoS3

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 2002 S3 (not sure what the system is I have) an I wanna get my iPod back in the car because I hate cd's! Anyone know any good ipod docs for the s3? I've seen the odd one but a cant justify payin over 100 quid for for some where to plug it in, not really bothered if it has a doc or not... Thanks!

I've recently bought an x carlink and have to say I am well impressed with it! Nice tidy looking piece of kit and fitted in no time at all.

Is this x carlink a good piece of kit? How much control do you have of your ipod through the head unit? Cheers

I have the Harmon Kardon Drive n Play system. Still to put it in my S3 but had it in my two previous cars and its perfect.
Cosists of a control module that is located in the glove box etc, a display screen and seperate control wheel.
Great having seperate screen etc as you can mount it exactly where you want so you dont have to take your eyes off the road too much and the control wheel is exactly the same as the controls for your ipod so everything apperars as it would on your ipod. Cost me £85 three years ago so but am sure I have seen them for about £50 nowadays.

Just want to get in installed in my S3 asap but just gotta get my radio code before I go disconnecting stuff

i have a parrot MKI9200....great system and much better than the denison i had....the criteria for me was a stealth install where the ipod was mounted in the glove box and controllable via the HU.....sadly the HU display is very limited and so i replaced my existing CK3200 bluetooth kit for the slimline MKI9200 which is awesome in comparison, a nice little TFT screen showing album artwork etc etc - would never go back

that said you will need a connect4 aux converter which costs £28 to make the parrot work with the rear speakers..... the denison was good dont get me wrong, just when your selecting playlists blind, it gets annoying

Tim

I've recently bought an x carlink and have to say I am well impressed with it! Nice tidy looking piece of kit and fitted in no time at all.

do you have to mess around with playlists, or can you just control the ipod as normal, via the ipod and not the stereo.....

some of the kits ive seen say that you have to make playlists called cd6 and it can only have 99 tracks in each playlist etc.

hang on just thought about it, how else would it work...

if you can use the ipod as normal, like selecting songs rather then playlists ill get one today. ive not got the cd cart so tapes are radio are really starting to get on my moobs.

denison will allow you to play via the HU or the ipod...... not cheap though

i got the X Car Link system, its awesome and i can also flick through tracks via the audi head unit.

do you have to mess around with playlists, or can you just control the ipod as normal, via the ipod and not the stereo.....

some of the kits ive seen say that you have to make playlists called cd6 and it can only have 99 tracks in each playlist etc.

hang on just thought about it, how else would it work...

if you can use the ipod as normal, like selecting songs rather then playlists ill get one today. ive not got the cd cart so tapes are radio are really starting to get on my moobs.

sorry i should have said i have the mp3 player version. it allows me to use either an sd card, usb stick (both of which can be controlled via the head unit providing you create music files named CD01 - CD06) or plug in the mp3 and control the music via the mp3 itself.

Without wanting to mislead you on the ipod just email xcarlink via the site and ask them. they were very helpful and responded quickly to my queries. looking at the box unit chances are you will be able to plug an audio (3.5mm) cable link into the aux hole and control from the ipod as desired!

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=6&cat=0&page=1

I had the whole thing fitted in 20 mins, a small hole cut in the inside of the glove box was all i needed to run the cables to back of the stereo.

Last edited:
Do any of these charge the iPod?

I'm wondering if they would work with an iPhone 3G?

What is the easiest setup to use to control the iPod/iPhone from the Headunit?

There are so many different options and companies making these its hard to see the good from the bad.

If anyone has some experience of different models on the same car, perhaps you'd be kind enough to give us your thoughts....for those who are looking to purchase one of these, like myself! :)

G

G...i can tell you the parrot MKI9200 and denison both charge the ipod...... as above though, i wouldnt use the HU functions as you are literally selecting tracks/playlists blind.... hence why i sold the denison and parrot bluetooth for an integrated unit that allows you to control the ipod via a steering wheel mounted control(MKI9200)....ipod stays in the gbox attached to the lid ;)

seem to think the 3g iphone had an issue with charging though due to different voltage or sumat similar...id check with the maunfacturers to be certain