1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod connector or AMI for S3?

davicio May 31, 2012

1. davicio

davicio New Member

Hi All,

New to the scene and just purchased a 2007 S3 with DVD Sat Nav and single CD.
    It has no iPod connection at all and really want this as an option.

Does anyone know if this is possible through the DVD Sat Nav because both Audi in London and another independent place is a little unsure. The independent place said if it was possible a fee of £3-400 fee would be likely, which seems extraordinary.

Audi said if possible, £250.

Can someone please set the record straight - and is the AMI where you get full control over the iPod from the screen and your MFSW?

Many thanks all.

2. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

AMI gives you full iPod control through the RNS-e and track titles etc displayed. This will be £400 approx to add to the system you have.

The iPod dock literally connects the iPod to the car and is access via the CD Changer control within the RNS-e. You have to make 6 playlists on your iPod and then the playlists are accessed via CD1-6 on the auto changer control. The dock will charge the iPod also but on the later models you may need an adaptor to convert from 12v to 5v.

Also, welcome to the site!!

3. davicio

davicio New Member

Thank you. And yes, it is starting to make sense with the difference in prices.
    I do not have a CD changer, so I am presuming I have to get one in order to do the iPod dock? And in any event if I do, the screen can only play 6 playlists and not the full quota stored?

However the AMI can do the full works and it is this that I need. Balls.
    There's me thinking a simple iPod lead would do the trick.

Also -sorry totally off topic this one. 27.1mpg over 150 miles on a motorway at a constant 70-80mph. Reasonable, as I thought it should be better than this? My s2k was not looking as bad as I feared after all :-o

4. rob_watti

rob_watti Member

think you need rns-e mk2 for ami

5. S.

S. Well-Known Member Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group quattro Audi S3 Manual

for that money you can get mk2 rns-e which supports 2x32gb sdhc cards. i think that's enought music :D
    the other day one went for less than 400 pounds on fleabay. was thinking about it, and then left it and today my ipod gave up :S
    lol...

6. NME

NME Member

Just checking what you mean, and I think I'm right in saying that you don't actually need the CD changer to get your iPod to work.

The OEM iPod lead fools the stereo into thinking your iPod IS THE CD Changer!

Thats why it will only play the first 6 playlists (in alphabetical order) on your iPod - it is effectively conned into thinking they are each a CD.

So, you can play music from your iPod if you want, you just won't be able to see the track name etc.

That means you can have your iPod in your car if you don't want the expense of the AMI setup just yet.

Nice.

7. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

Big fan of the AMI here, contact NHN if you want it supplying/fitting.

8. davicio

davicio New Member

Who is this (NHN above post)?
    Also checking, I have a Media button on my screen which someone said only came with the 2nd version. But I have an 07 car, so this cannot be right?
    One individual did state you have to have the 2nd version, which appears true from this link: AMI – Audi Music Interface

I do have 2 SD card clots, so is this another way around putting music on? And does this show on the screen? If not, then the AMI I may go.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  9. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

Thats his user name, pm him, NHN.

10. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

Yeah that's right... Sorry should of explained it a bit better!!