1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod connection questions - A3 8L Concert

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by buckas, Aug 29, 2007.

1. buckas

buckas Member

[Aug 29, 2007]
    hi people - been reading through a lot of topics on connecting the ipod to the audi concert HU, seems there's a lot of different solutions to connecting it though. i don't have an iPod yet (shock horror! :)) but thinking of getting one so as to have more music in the car rather than my glove box and cubby hole full of cds. phatbox is too dear, FM seems temperamental so looking for a cd-changer cable connecting method because that seems the best way, so which one is the best one to buy? im guessing ive got a spare hole on the HU for it as i don't have a cd-changer

cheers to all replies :sm4:

drew
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 29, 2007]
    denison ICE-Link seems to be the favourite. It all depends how you want to control the iPOD once it's connected up.
  4. buckas

buckas Member

[Aug 29, 2007]
    i'd guess change the tracks on the ipod and also the HU? or can't you do that? is it easy to get the HU out and fit the cabling etc?

cheers for the info by the way

drew
  5. buckas

buckas Member

[Aug 30, 2007]
    bump

also anymore opinions from users of the ice link?

chars
  6. AndyMac

[Aug 30, 2007]
    The HU can't do it.
    So either you use the iPOD itself and possibly crash your car or some other means
  7. AndyMac

[Aug 30, 2007]
    Sorry the HU can do it but only to a limited extent, i.e. as if the iPOD was a fully loaded changer so up 6 x 99 tracks. No track names or any info other than track number will be displayed.
    So if you want track 52 in folder 5, you have to select 5 on the HU then scroll through 51 tracks to get to it. If you have more than 6 folders then you have to let the iPOD play the last track in folder 6 to get to the ones above.
    So not really usable IMO.
    Phatbox uses voice prompts which is a much better method, plus you don't have to keep unplugging your iPOD everytime to leave the car.
    You can get a phatbox for around the same price as an iPOD and ICELink on ebay.
  8. Aky

Aky Aky

[Aug 30, 2007]
  9. buckas

buckas Member

[Aug 30, 2007]
    cheers lads
  10. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

[Aug 30, 2007]
    What he said :icon_thumright:

If you don't have an Ipod already, then it makes sense to have the better system in the car and go for the phatbox. Otherwise its limited control and display with the ipod connector.

I have the Audi version from VAGParts with the ipod in the glove compartment. Works ok, but not perfect.
  11. Aky

Aky Aky

[Aug 30, 2007]
    I agree with most of what is said here. I find that i use the ipod inteface for changing album but for simple skip track etc you can use the headunit.

I thought about Phat Box but don't have the wires in the boot so would need to trail a wire to the HU and also you can't take your Phatbox out and listen to it whilst mountain biking, jogging etc etc