ipod connection query

T111 MLT

Reaction score
evening peeps. im new on here and just need a little advice... ive got a 2010 (60 plate) a3 black edition with dvd sat-nav and cd changer in the glovebox. im getting an ipod within the next few weeks, but ive seen on the audi uk website that i cannot play an ipod through the speakers because ive got a cd changer instead of the ipod dock/connector, however i have got an aux in socket next to my handbreak and ive heard of some people playing their ipods via the aux in socket, would this work??

The only difference between AUX and the iPod kit is that the iPod kit support text display and allows you to change track via the Steering Wheel Controls/Stereo. The AUX doesn't allow any of that; everything is controlled via the device itself allowing you to change only the volume.

There are aftermarket kits available, such as the Xcarlink, which are able to offer you iPod support and keep your CD Changer, but its all a bit of a nightmare and never works seamlessly. My vote would be to remove the CD Changer and get the AMI.. working with your MK2 RNS-E, it'll work a dream.

many thanks for the info mate. to be honest i think i`ll skip getting an aftermarket kit fitted and replace the cd changer with the ami. would it a big job to do that myself?? or would i be better sending it into audi for them to replace?