Ipod "cd-changer" Install

slimjim

A3 170 Quattro Sport 2.0 TDi '56
Reaction score
Website
www.jameshardacre.com
Following on from the DashCam install I did... http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dash-camera-install.225942/

Here is something I did tonight with a £30 CD-changer "fool me" iPod thing on ebay.

Followed these instructions to take off the glove box.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/h5djr/elsawin/glovebox-remove.pdf

A3_iPod_01.jpg

Use a clean towel to cover the center of the dash to prevent any scratches.

A3_iPod_02.jpg

Remove the top black connector from the HU and link it to the new red one from the CD emulator.
A3_iPod_03.jpg

Plug the other end of the connector back into where the black plug came from.
A3_iPod_05.jpg

Took a little finesse to get this to fit, as some of the metal connectors were not stright, so watch out as you don't want to bend any of the pins on the HU!!!
A3_iPod_06.jpg

A3_iPod_08.jpg

The grey connection box tucks nicely low down behind the HU back.
A3_iPod_10.jpg

Bring the iPod connector and the extra black(earth cable) out to the side of the glove box.

A3_iPod_14.jpg

Remove one of the exposed bolts...
A3_iPod_15.jpg

A3_iPod_16.jpg

Use a ring connector to earth the black cable.
A3_iPod_17.jpg

Tape it up!
Heat shrink would be better but I have run out at the moment.
A3_iPod_18.jpg

Decided to enlarge a ready made hole to route the iPod connector
A3_iPod_20.jpg

A3_iPod_22.jpg

Doesn't look amazing on close inspection. But who inspects the glove box form this angle?
A3_iPod_23.jpg

Can't even see it from here.
A3_iPod_24.jpg

And the end result?

Well done mate. You could get a piece of carpeting similar to the one used in the glovebox and bung it over the hole to make it look better.
What is the item that you bought from ebay? cant seem to find it.

Reactions: slimjim
Nice job and a good taste in music too :)

Just a thought but, I'd have drilled a nice round hole and fitted it with a grommet to feed the cable through the back of the glove box.

Reactions: slimjim
Well done mate. You could get a piece of carpeting similar to the one used in the glovebox and bung it over the hole to make it look better.
What is the item that you bought from ebay? cant seem to find it.
Tam (my wife) bought the item. Will find out what it is and let you know.
We bought the wrong one first time round (wrong connectors for the back of the HU) but the seller was VERY good and swapped out the cable for the one we needed. Very impressed with the service.

Nice job and a good taste in music too :)

Just a thought but, I'd have drilled a nice round hole and fitted it with a grommet to feed the cable through the back of the glove box.
ha ha ... yeah, can't go wrong with a bit of Sabbath.

Good point on the hole/grommet idea. Should have thought of that, although to be honest I didn't have any grommets to hand at the time.
Might tidy it up next time I take it apart ;)
I used some black electrical tape on the hole from the back, to try to do something about it. But a grommet would have been a MUCH better idea.

Thats the connects 2 Aux adapter which is just under £30 from ebay. decent enough kit for the older ISO connectors to add AUX onto your stereos.